Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Wireless Card Replacement Advice

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 joe2k1

joe2k1

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

I have an old Dell Lattitude 6510 that has a intermittent onboard wifi adapter. Sometimes it does connect to the network, sometimes it will not connect. I tested a USB wifi dongle, which works just fine with full strength! I would prefer to not have a giant dongle sticking out the side of this laptop and would prefer a solution that involves repairing the internal wifi module. I am looking for some advice if the following replacement would work in this particular Dell Lattitude 6510.

2akn1b8.jpg

A local store offers this particular model with a special order. I am going to assume it would work to, but would like to hear some thoughts from the members here. 

StarTech (MPEX300WN2X2) Mini PCI Express Wireless N Card - 300Mbps Mini PCIe 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter - 2T2R, here is a the photo:

79037.jpg

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

It looks like a standard Mini Wifi card. I found this on ebay. $10 with Free Shipping. They do make small dongles but I can't say if the range will be as good as the internal with the antenna wires.

Edit: Here is one even cheaper but it is used.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

I personally have had the best luck with atheros chipsets. Any mini wifi card should work. The newest intel ac types are fast but mine thus far has been unreliable, I had to change a few driver settings to even connect it to a 5ghz router. I still have a few older atheros wireless b,g,n cards that work flawlessly, they are not as fast though so if you do any data transfer from local servers I might suggest the newer intel chips.

Do you want it to have built in bluetooth as well?

This one does 2.4ghz and 5ghz, has bt4.0 http://www.amazon.com/AIRETOS-AEH-AR9462-LC-Bluetooth-802-11abgN-PCI-Express/dp/B00OJPJT8Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1417539594&sr=8-7&keywords=atheros+mini+wifi

I would do a bit of research and see which have the best reviews...

Edited by zingo156, 02 December 2014 - 12:05 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 joe2k1

joe2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the comment. I believe it is a half height (mini) pci wifi card. Again, I just want to ensure it works with the dell internals. I am not located in the US. A local retailer is charging about 18 us dollars that startech brand. 

edit: the startech is a realtek chipset. any comments. http://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Wireless/Mini-PCIe-Wireless-N-Card~MPEX300WN2X2

BT is not required at all. 

It looks like a standard Mini Wifi card. I found this on ebay. $10 with Free Shipping. They do make small dongles but I can't say if the range will be as good as the internal with the antenna wires.

Edit: Here is one even cheaper but it is used.

Edited by joe2k1, 02 December 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

The only laptops that were picky about which wifi card would work in my experience were certain HP's. Any card should work with your dell computer. You will have to install a driver for the new card most likely. I have had decent luck with realtek chipsets.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 joe2k1

joe2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for sharing this valuable information. I have made the part order, will update with my results so this thread be can helpful to others in the future. 

The only laptops that were picky about which wifi card would work in my experience were certain HP's. Any card should work with your dell computer. You will have to install a driver for the new card most likely. I have had decent luck with realtek chipsets.

#7 joe2k1

joe2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year :)

I got my wireless card, I have not been able to install as of yet! I fear I might break the connector located on the left side of the photos. I am going to assume it is some sort of ribbon connector. I removed the 2 screws, it seems to be stuck really well. I have googled, youtubed, cannot seem to find any pictures or removal instructions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

vovo9j.jpg

20sf6aa.jpg

Edited by joe2k1, 05 January 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

It should pop off by pulling straight up using the blue plastic pull tab. You do need to remove those 2 screws on the outside.

Edited by zingo156, 05 January 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#9 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

You really should be consulting your laptop's service manual. This sounds like its your first laptop wifi card replacement. They are usually somewhat "married" to the board and I would be replacing the wifi card with an OEM replacement of the same make/model (even if used, as long as it is in working order it should be a remove/restore task with no other driver issues whatsoever).

Here is your latitude's service manual this should walk you through how to remove the ribbon thats in the way of the wifi card as well as the wifi card's replacement itself:

https://archive.org/stream/dell-manual-latitude-e6510service-manual/latitude-e6510servicemanual#page/n5/mode/2up

Edited by drwmbt, 05 January 2015 - 03:09 PM.

#10 joe2k1

joe2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

I ended up not having to remove that odd ribbon cable, I was able to move them out of the way.  Thank you so much for your response. 

It should pop off by pulling straight up using the blue plastic pull tab. You do need to remove those 2 screws on the outside.

Yes this was my first replacement of a mini wireless card. I installed the driver via CDROM, turned off the computer and proceeded with the installation. I did some googling and found this same manual but did not find any useful information about that odd ribbon cable, which is why I asking for feedback. Thank you for your response. It was an uneventful replacement! 

You really should be consulting your laptop's service manual. This sounds like its your first laptop wifi card replacement. They are usually somewhat "married" to the board and I would be replacing the wifi card with an OEM replacement of the same make/model (even if used, as long as it is in working order it should be a remove/restore task with no other driver issues whatsoever).

Here is your latitude's service manual this should walk you through how to remove the ribbon thats in the way of the wifi card as well as the wifi card's replacement itself:

https://archive.org/stream/dell-manual-latitude-e6510service-manual/latitude-e6510servicemanual#page/n5/mode/2up

I hope this post is helpful to someone else who may have similar hardware. 

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

Is the new wireless card working well? Sounds like you have it all up and running.

#12 joe2k1

joe2k1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

Yes in my excitement responding to user "drwmbt" comments, I left out that this new wireless card has been rock solid, compared to the issues with the performance. I guess you can actually wear them out under heavy usage. Thanks again folks! 

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:32 AM

Happy computing!

They definitely do wear out, I used to go through cards about once a year. In the retail shop I worked on we went through wireless routers/AP's about once every 8 months, we tried different brands, commercial, consumer, cheap, expensive, they all died within 8 months. We started to think we were just jinxed when it came to wireless routers, we tried everything to fix a few of them but no luck there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users