Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 License question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 allandalelad

allandalelad

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

I recently built my first PC and due to bad press over Windows 8 decided to go for Windows 7 Ultimate. I couldn´t find a new version on sale anywhere, except the OEM versions from Dell etc but I wanted an Original, legal version with product key. Eventually I bought a version second-hand from an upgrader consisting of two DVD´s and the original product key. One DVD is the Windows 7 DVD with the MS Hologrammed edge and the other is the OEM Pre-installation kit.

I have two questions: First do I need to install both DVD´s or just the hologrammed one and secondly:

MS have been juggling their Licence rules around a bit the past years I´ve read and want to be sure I can install this version safely and register with MS without running into trouble - both on the running of the software as legally with MS.

Long story but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance in any case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

The OEM Preinstall disc...is useless for those doing a regular install of Win 7, it's designed for OEMs (Dell, Lenovo, etc.) to preinstall other junk with Win 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/installation/downloads/Pages/windows_7_opk.aspx#fbid=nadn8kpkIrH

."..I´ve read and want to be sure I can install this version safely and register with MS without running into trouble - both on the running of the software as legally with MS."

That's determined by whether you were validly sold a legal license.  That question should have been asked of the seller.

IMO, there's only one true test whether a system will pass the licensing question marks...install it and try to activate it.

Louis

#3 allandalelad

allandalelad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for taking the time to reply You confirmed one thing i thouight but wasn´t wurse- the OEM disc. Once again - tks for posting.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:59 AM

It's very hard to find a full version Windows 7 ultimate full version retail these days. They are all OEM (system builder). Some places selling them are very sneaky in their wording hiding the fact they are OEM. I found lots saying full version and in small print oem. So you gotta be really careful. Also, don't trust prodcut reviews some people are wrong answering questions. If the price is to good to be true it probably is. With all that said the differences between them...

-Retail you can install it and activate it on one computer only it can be activated as many times as you need. IE: So if the Motherboard in your computer blows up no problem replace the motherboard and reactivate it.

-OEM (aka System builder) same thing as retail only the license key will activate once. Hardware such as the motherboard fails you may be stuck buying a new copy of windows. Also, trying to install it on another system revokes the key. Microsoft keeps tabs on the hardware of each machine that installs windows. Without a activated or stolen copy you won't get any updates or support etc.

As I suspected Windows Ultimate full version retail still sells for around 300+ dollars for one copy. It took me some time to find this one after finding a link on pricewatch.com Since it is 100% guaranteed I would hold them to it if it wasn't. Funny thing about that link it says "discountmountainsoftware.com" there is nothing discounted about it being 300+ dollars. I guess you gotta pay the reaper if you want that unlocked license key lol

http://www.discountmountainsoftware.com/wi7ulfuvereb.html?cmp=pricewatch&utm_source=pricewatch.com&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=Microsoft+Windows+7+Ultimate+Full+Version+Retail+32/64-bit&utm_campaign=pricewatch

#5 allandalelad

allandalelad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:57 AM

Hi Technonymous,

Tks for the info. It hasn´t solved my problem as such but throws more light on the subject and that´s always helpful. Thanks again.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

OEM (aka System builder) same thing as retail only the license key will activate once

This is not strictly correct. An OEM install is tied to the computer it is originally installed on, but may be installed on that computer a number of times, for example after major corruption of a hard drive. What it is tied to is the motherboard.

MS accepts that mobos do occasionally fail and will allow replacement with an equivalent board. The problem is that say you have had the computer for three years, you will find it very difficult to find an exact replacement for the original mobo. In such cases you have to phone MS - usually a free call - and argue the case.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

Yes, thanks for clearing that up that's what I meant. Microsoft's licensing is confusing and then trying to convey that confusion to others made myself confused lol. However, I believe Windows 8 and above is no longer tied to motherboads.

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2014 - 07:16 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users