Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Folder Tree

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:02 AM

OK, here is my beef. When I switched from XP to Win7 I noticed all my files were in weird places. For example, My Documents is where I kept all my business stuff but after installing Win 7 not only do I see my business files but also all my music. It was all screwed up. 

Now that I've reinstalled Windows I would like to form my own folder tree. Can I do that? Can I remove preinstalled folders and put my own folders in their place?

I'm running x64 bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

You can create folders for any data files...and use them...at any time.

The fundamental organization of libraries in Win 7...is different.  But those libraries don't exist in reality, they are just constructs for certain file folders which you have placed in the libraries.  The actual files are somewhere on your C: partition.

You may be able to remove preinstalled System files...but they probably will just be created upon reboot of the system.

My Documents...has always included My Music, My Videos, etc...in any Windows version.  These folders are installed by default but they do NOT have to be used to contain any files.

Louis

#3 rikkidegraz

rikkidegraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

OK. Thank you for your help. I could see the advantage of being able to click on the start button, click on my name and all my files to be right there as long as they are not on c drive. I like my stuff in D drive which is a separate partition. How do I do that?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

Are you asking how to create a D:\ partition on the hard drive?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:53 PM

If you laready have a D: partition created and it has free space in it...you can move all data files to that partition, same as moving anything else anywhere.

You cannot move Windows files and/or programs to another partition, other than when you install such.

Louis

#6 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:11 PM

When you enter C:/users/YOURUSERNAME you will see the folders My documents, My Music etc. most of them you can move the location by right clicking on folder, select tab Location then move on D: partition or anywhere else.That are only things in Windows folder logic that can be moved without reinstalling as far as I know. If you give someone PC to reinstall Windows please let them know you did this, seen many situations people did that and then forgot to backup new location before reinstall...

Edited by splico, 06 December 2014 - 10:13 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users