Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to create Ad-hoc wifi network whilst connecting to Lan, also wifi discons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BTU

BTU

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:56 AM

I am using my companies internet, however i am having some trouble.

I am trying to:

Keep connected to my companies LAN, but set up an adhoc wifi network at the same time.  

Currently i can only set up an adhoc wifi network if i pull out the LAN cable. This then works , however when i plug the lan back in, the Adhoc wifi connection drops.

on a related note i am UNABLE to connect the wifi at all whilst connected to the lan.

This issue has only arisen since i was given a new 64bit w7 laptop instead of the 32bit W7 i was using.

My colleague has the same user profile as myself on his laptop and he can create these fine, he can also connect via LAN and WIFI at the same time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

What is the ip address of the lan and the ad-hoc connections ip address?

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:49 PM

Odds are your machine has a setting to disable the wireless when an active LAN connection is present.  In HP machines this is a BIOS setting called LAN/WAN switching.  Since this is a company network you should have your company IT set this up.  Odds are they will not as it creates a massive security issue.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

Windows also has issues with multiple gateways which is one of the reasons I am asking about ip addressing.  Another good question is what are you connecting to with the ad-hoc network?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users