Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With USB Connections

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hi,

I have a self built PC. I recently purchased a new WD Black hard drive and installed Windows 7 Ultimate onto it. Here is the hardware I'm using:

PSU - Seasonic 500Watts
Processor - Intel Q8300 Core 2 Quad (2.50GHz/4M/1333/05A/Socket: 775)
Motherboard - ASUS P5N-E SLI
Graphics Card - VTX3D Radeon HD5450 1GB PCIe DVI HDMI 2GB
Optical Drive - Sony AD-7240S-0B 24x Internal DVDRWRAM SATA Black Bare
Hard Drive 1 - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Hard Drive 2 - 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green
Hard Drive 3 - 2TB Seagate Barracuda
RAM - Kingston 2 x 2GB PC2-5300 DDR 667 240Pin; 2 x 2GB Unbranded
USB 3.0 PCI-E Card - Orico PVU3-5O2U

I have a brand new 32GB MicroSD card, 2 fairly new (a couple of months old) 3TB Toshiba USB 3.0 external hard drives and four older external hard drives which are either 500GB  or 1TB. When I connect any of these via USB, either directly into the motherboard or into the USB 3.0 expansion card, I have problems. 

Sometimes the drive appears but I'm unable to access it. Sometimes it says "The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable". Sometimes it appears and says it needs checking for errors. Sometimes it says it needs formatting. Sometimes it works fine for a while and loses the connection after a few minutes. If it says it needs checking for errors and I agree, the connection is lost before the check is complete. If I agree to format it, it'll either say the format could not be completed, or if it does the drive will work for a while and the connection will be lost. Also, if I am able to access the drive for a while and I try to open a folder on it, I'll get a message saying: "The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable."

I've tried using the drives on my Mum's PC and they work fine. Please can someone tell me how to get them working properly on mine too?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

Hello, 

Did you change anything in your configuration before this started happening? Any new hardware? Any software updates or changes? Have you tried other USB devices, other than storage?
It's quite strange that this happens to usb SD cards as well. I would have assumed that there is a power issue, but in your case I would suggest you try to update the  Universal Serial Bus controller drivers.
 Also - try to reset the BIOS to the default settings and clear the CMOS by taking out the motherboard battery for 10 minutes and putting it back in. Please, try those options and I will be available to discuss further troubleshooting steps, if none of this is helpful.

Best regards, Citizen_WD

Edited by Citizen_WD, 02 December 2014 - 10:15 AM.

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

I recently purchased a new hard drive and installed Windows 7 onto it because the old one failed, but the problem started before I did that. I have other USB devices which work fine such as printer and scanner. I just tried connecting my microSD card with a new adapter and it worked OK as did a USB flash drive, so I think maybe my old adapter was faulty. My USB drivers were fully up to date.

I removed the battery for 10 minutes and restarted, but it didn't help with the problem.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

You might try checking your voltages using something like HWmonitor to verify the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v, are all within spec (5% of 3.3, 5, 12).

Any single usb device that has a problem, might interfere with others. A bad usb port with damaged or bent pins might also cause an issue. Visually inspect all usb ports on the MB, Case, etc for damage or shorting pins. Flash drives and microSD cards do not need as much wattage to run when compared to external hard drives.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

Here's the HWMonitor data:

Hardware monitor ITE IT87
Voltage 0 1.36 Volts [0x55] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 3.26 Volts [0xCC] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 4.84 Volts [0xB4] (+5V)
Voltage 4 12.03 Volts [0xBC] (+12V)
Voltage 7 4.89 Volts [0xB6] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage 8 3.14 Volts [0xC4] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 34°C (93°F) [0x22] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 38°C (100°F) [0x26] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 25°C (77°F) [0x19] (TMPIN2)
Fan 0 2860 RPM [0xEC] (FANIN0)
Fan 2 1134 RPM [0x253] (FANIN2)
Fan PWM 0 99 pc [0x7F] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 99 pc [0x7F] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 99 pc [0x7F] (FANPWM2)
Register space LPC, base address = 0x0290

I've visually inspected all the USB ports and they all look fine.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

Those all look ok, that didn't show the min, avg, and max. Can you let HWmonitor run for a while and then take a screen shot? What you will want to check is that your min and max never go out of spec.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:45 AM

Hi again, 

Have you updated the Universal Serial Bus controller drivers? It sounds really strange, but to put it simply I would say: Try running your PC with another PSU unit, and check all the internal connections - It the problem persists than it's most likely a faulty motherboard.

Best regards, Citizen_WD

#8 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

My USB drivers are up to date. I'll try to get hold of another PSU. Here are the results from HWMonitor after 12 hours:

Attached Files

• Attached File  hwm.jpg   120.34KB   0 downloads

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

All of the voltages are within 5%. While that doesn't mean for certain it isn't still psu related, it would seem unlikely at the moment, it would still be worth trying a different psu if you have one available.

Have you tried removing the USB 3.0 PCI-E Card and then just using onboard?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users