Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How far should I place my PC from a home humidifier/air purifier ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 summer_sun

summer_sun

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:17 AM

I heard that having a humidifier/air purifier is good to eliminate dust and static electricity while on the other hand I hear humidity is not good for electronics.

Will someone explain to me what components they think would be affected and how it could possibly be detrimental to my PC ? I'm not talking about immediate sparks flying around but long term health of my PC .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:58 PM

It depends on the humidifier.  Mine is about two feet from my computer, but the output is pointed away from the computer.  Currently the room is at 25% humidity.  As long as you're not pointing the water at the computer you should be fine.

Edited by Kilroy, 02 December 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#3 summer_sun

summer_sun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:44 AM

It depends on the humidifier.  Mine is about two feet from my computer, but the output is pointed away from the computer.  Currently the room is at 25% humidity.  As long as you're not pointing the water at the computer you should be fine.

How did you measure the room humidity ?

btw Do you have any idea about air purifiers? If they have health benefits and can get rid of dust as well then I would be leaning more towards getting a room air purifier because when I checked online both humidifiers and air purifiers are in the same price range .

#4 crashper

crashper

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:38 AM

As long as the humidifier is in the same room as the PC it is bound to increase the moisture content in the air and this will probably result in condensate deposition on your casing and eventually lead to corrosion which is more harmful than the static dust on the casing which can be removed easily using a filter. If you want to still get rid of the dust and save yourself the hassle of vacuuming then a room air purifier is a better option.

Use a mid sized room air purifier. I  use the Clair TD1866 model (http://go-clair.com/). I assume your room is well ventilated and there is decent air circulation . In that case a room air purifier will capture all that fine dust much before it settles on the PC and other electronic equipment in your room and you also have the additional benefit of raised indoor air quality minus dust,germs and what not ..

#5 costko

costko

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:53 AM

I wonder how big your room is that you have to consider about distance between PC case and air purifier. But both of them are sources of noise (unless you have super smooth cooler) hence I'd rather to put them near. 

Btw, your Clair looks cool. I like curves, not square-shaped like others. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users