Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BACKWARDS - Can't Go There ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:04 AM

Only with extreme difficulty can I effectively use the backward key in the toolbar.    If I hit the back key 10 times or so it might go back but unpredictably, its very frustrating - never experienced this before and haven't a clue what might be the cause?   Using Firefox most recent version on my Windows 7 Laptop?

My computer is constantly thinking up new ways to play "Stump the Fool"   GRRRRR  ?? :clapping:

Edited by JayJax, 02 December 2014 - 01:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:57 AM

If I hit the back key 10 times or so it might go back but unpredictably

My computer is constantly thinking up new ways to play "Stump the Fool"   GRRRRR  ?? :clapping:

Try uninstalling FireFox and Reinstall , have you tried another browser ? eg: Internet Explorer ?

I gave up on Firefox at Ver 32 and installed Maxthon.never looked back.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:49 AM

What happens when you press the backspace key on your keyboard - same problem or does that take you back a page normally?

#4 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

If I hit the back key 10 times or so it might go back but unpredictably

Try uninstalling FireFox and Reinstall , have you tried another browser ? eg: Internet Explorer ?

I gave up on Firefox at Ver 32 and installed Maxthon.never looked back.

Thank you I will give that a try with Firefox.    I never heard of maxthon I will check that out too.    I did like Firefox for a long time but lately its had a lot of issues.   I wish they would quit "improving" things and leave them be.   I have problems with my customized toolbars changing - everytime I have a Firefox update I hold my breath because it has wreaked havoc a few times.   And I'm not at all liking Internet Explorer, its Security Settings, etc. are very unclear, at least some of them, what they do or don't do.   Anyway I'll post back the effects, if any, of reinstalling Firefox after deleting it. 

Edited by JayJax, 02 December 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

What happens when you press the backspace key on your keyboard - same problem or does that take you back a page normally?

When I use the backspace on my keyboard I get it generates a "ding" sound sometimes or else it does nothing..   Still researching and following up with Firefox as suggested above. Thanks for your comment.

#6 gameffect

gameffect

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:56 PM

You should reinstall Firefox or use a different Web Browser. Maxthon is good one, have you tried Google Chrome. 

If you go to your start menu and type in msconfig.exe  and check what items are being start up and see if that help by unchecking all the ones that you do not need.

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:17 AM

If you go to your start menu and type in msconfig.exe  and check what items are being start up and see if that help by unchecking all the ones that you do not need.

I dont think at this time, that is a good idea to start configuring Msconfig startups , lets solve one problem first , and then re access.

Msconfig unchecking only stops the startup service it doesnt remove any - if - offending Programs , and to a novice selecting which one`s ? cause more problems.

#8 gameffect

gameffect

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:25 AM

Get a new keyboard or make sure device manager that keyboard is install correctly 

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2014 - 06:19 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#9 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:59 AM

It isn't the keyboard backspace that is the problem - I was just answering someone's question about it.   It is the backspace arrow on my toolbar that isn't working right.   I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox - will see if that helps anything.    I may install the other browser too - I'm always keeping an open mind as to best browser so definitely want to try it out. Thanks.

btw - is there anyway of "transferring" all my user names and passwords when changing browsers?   Its amazing how many I have accumulated.   I understand the theory of passwords but they are a pain because everybody has their own rules.

Edited by JayJax, 03 December 2014 - 02:15 AM.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

1) DO NOT follow the advice to uncheck items in msconfig.

2) I agree with the suggestion to completely uninstall and reinstall FF. It appears that you have done that - let's see what happens. And if you continue to have issues, try Firefox in safe mode to see if it's one of the add-ons causing the problem.

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

1) DO NOT follow the advice to uncheck items in msconfig.

2) I agree with the suggestion to completely uninstall and reinstall FF. It appears that you have done that - let's see what happens. And if you continue to have issues, try Firefox in safe mode to see if it's one of the add-ons causing the problem.

Thanks I did follow thru as suggested but not with the msconfig.     The problem seems not quite as pronounced, I'm still checking how things go - haven't been on line much to explore.

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

Get a new keyboard or make sure device manager that keyboard is install correctly 

i REALLY don't think its my keyboard because I'm not using the keyboard I'm using my mouse and the arrow keys in the toolbar.

#13 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

btw - is there anyway of "transferring" all my user names and passwords when changing browsers?   Its amazing how many I have accumulated.   I understand the theory of passwords but they are a pain because everybody has their own rules.

Within Maxthon Browser { If you do try it } you can import from any other browser selected , fav etc .

I personally never trust Pcs to remember my Passwords - Logins  / Write them down in a small Diary book and then hide it some where safe.

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

Within Maxthon Browser { If you do try it } you can import from any other browser selected , fav etc .

I personally never trust Pcs to remember my Passwords - Logins  / Write them down in a small Diary book and then hide it some where safe.

Thanks, I would really like to stay with Maxthon because with it several problems have been cleared up.   I do not understand how computers all come together I just know how to use them.   So I don't know why but the "Back" issue is resolved also when using Firefox my Mouse scroll was not working properly and it only worked by using the scroll bar (just turning the scroll wheel didn't work).        FIREFOX keeps messing up my customized toolbar - things disappear and then can't be re-added, just frustrating so thx for recommending.    I've tried a few others but nothing I've been very happy with.

#15 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 963 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

Good to hear , Maxthon works for me and like anything something new to learn , i do have an issue with Favourites Bar and the sorting , but thats my only issue. 

Once you have it setup as you prefer do a export of your settings , then play around and get used to it.

If you , as i have done messed it up , just import the settings from previous save.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users