Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hiren's Boot - UEFI Support..?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HackerFun

HackerFun

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:33 PM

Hello, I've been interested in getting a Hiren's Boot USB with UEFI support. I've done some research and I've found out that Grub4Dos isn't support for GPT/UEFI BIOS... I would pick up a book on Grub2 and code everything over as Grub2 is a universally support lanuage but I just don't have the time to translate such an amount of code...

Yes, I am aware that inorder to successfully boot UEFI you'll need the proper EFI files--I've already tried acouple of things.

If you know anyway to boot Grub4Dos on a UEFI system WITHOUT ENABLING LEGACY SUPPORT, or any other method to get Hiren's Boot USB to boot it will be much appriciated.

Edited by HackerFun, 01 December 2014 - 11:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:46 AM

Not sure if you heard of Easy2Boot, but with this video they go into how to convert the iso files. http://www.easy2boot.com/add-payload-files/adding-uefi-images/

#3 HackerFun

HackerFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

Yes I've tried Easy2Boot before. It still tried to execute the code as Grub4Dos...

Emulating isos isn't really an issue with chainload commands and such but to get the full functionality of Hiren's, I'm forced to believe I need a Grub2 coded hiren's... That's a lot of work that frankly isn't worth it if I can just enable Legacy Support in the BIOS. :mellow:

#4 SteveSi

SteveSi

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:57 AM

This is an old post, but if you want to run mini-XP or DOS utilities from Hirens, they will not work under UEFI. XP and DOS rely on BIOS calls and real mode and they just wont run on UEFI which does not even use the same CPU mode or use BIOS calls.

You can UEFI-boot many different payloads using Easy2Boot, but only if the payloads are compatible with UEFI (e.g. Windows 7+, many linux distros, etc.).

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:37 AM

I don't understand, actually, why you want to use GRUB2 in preference to Grub4DOS.

'Puppy' Linux (which I use) includes the Grub4DOS bootloader config tool as a standard part of each and every release. I know there are concerns about Grub4DOS being unmaintained, etc., but Puppy's version of this (which, to be fair, is heavily-modified to allow for Puppy's unique method of booting) is maintained by the community, and is kept fully-patched and up to date.

In my experience, GRUB2 is simply a massive PITA to work with. Grub4DOS is much simpler. And Pup's version of Grub4DOS has been modified in recent years to allow booting from UEFI via a 'shim'.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 November 2016 - 06:37 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#6 SteveSi

SteveSi

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

Grub4dos is well maintained (currently by YaYa).

http://grub4dos.chenall.net/categories/downloads/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users