Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't complete startup unless moved to another location

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ejoan

ejoan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

Short version overview: Computer stopped being able to complete the start process. It now works fine after doing a system restore, but not in the basement office where it belongs. It works only on my testing bench where the mouse, keyboard, and monitor are different. (I took the power cord from the other room and tried three others - all work upstairs.) The next thing we'll try is using the same mouse, etc., but I'm looking for other ideas since I don't think those things should make such a difference.

It's a Dell Inspiron with dual boot -- Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Details:  I usually see a menu of boot options. Right before that happens, the Dell logo appears and text appears in the upper right of the screen indicating I can press F12 for boot options. I don't need to do that because it goes to the boot options automatically -- until three days ago. (The default is Ubuntu if I don't select Windows.) It's a few months old and seemed fine until now. It stops going past the screen with "Dell" and the "press F12". It makes the initial start-up noises and one light on the front blinks as if accessing the system, then it stops and goes quiet, leaving the logo and text on the screen. It does not go as far as having the active status bar at the bottom of the screen -- but it does have the rectangle outlined without a color inside as it should have.

I took it to my other office and had the same problem at first. (My memory is fuzzy on this, but I think it did the same thing). I tried using a rescue boot disk -- it started normally. Nothing wrong on the memory diagnostics. I did a system restore to a few days prior to a time it was working well. The new event was a critical Windows update, so it's rolled back to before that. On my testing bench, it starts normally.  Put it back downstairs -- never gets past the first screen.

The differences between working and nonworking conditions are the power source and various devices plugged in. Those in the basement office did not change between it working and not working. Power comes from a heavy-duty extension cord since there are no outlets in that part of the basement. All of the other equipment using that cord work fine. We unplugged everything from the power strip (surge protector) and left only the computer, but that didn't make a difference. Tried a simple power strip too.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2014 - 10:15 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:56 PM

Cat5 or wireless?

Thanks

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 ejoan

ejoan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:28 PM

Neither right now, but when we're online, it will be wireless. We use it for non-internet things too.  Thanks.

Update:

I finally got through to Dell and they suggested it could be inadequate power, maybe a problem with the extension cord, even though it hasn't changed and the other devices work with it. They said the computers are very sensitive to inadequate power.

I did some research today and found out it might be too cold to boot. Some people use a hair dryer or space heater near it. The basement is cold, so we'll try that.

#4 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

Have you tried replacing the power supply? It is possible the current power supply may be failing. Colder temps should not prevent a computer from booting. Have you also tried connecting the orignal power cord to the outlet on the wall, and not use a surge protector.

#5 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:03 AM

Hi,
Checkout for any reverse polarity, bad earth line or any damage to the cord or power distribution board.
You may need to use a multitester/multimeter to check it as well as the source to which the distribution board/extension cord is connected. Else use another extension cord to check if there is any issue in the existing extension cord / spike.
I dont recommend using the same power supply socket for multiple devices , especially if I intend to use it to connect to computers or other sensitive devices.
May be there is some issues with power incoming to PC socket.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#6 ejoan

ejoan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

There is no wall outlet where the computer must be, so if it turns out to be a problem with the power source we must use, we'll have to create a new dedicated circuit.

Since the computer works normally in another room on a different extension cord and power strip, we'll start with checking the components used in the basement office rather than the computer itself.

#7 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:02 AM

Good.... Watch for the devices which are consume high power like heaters, electromagnetic devices like motors etc....
Also check for earth leakage and burnt leads, switches or wires...
A good digital multimeter is always a good companion of enthusiasits as well as home users.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#8 ejoan

ejoan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

Hi, all. Thanks again for the ideas. I wanted to let you know the old keyboard seems to be the problem. It's unclear why it would allow it to start but not boot, after working for several months, but switching it made a difference. I didn't try changing the monitor because I could recreate the problem with the old keyboard with the computer in the testing room. I'm going to put it back in the basement with the keyboard it came with (and the monitor that works with it) -- hopefully that's all it is.

#9 ejoan

ejoan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

In case anyone is curious, it did seem to be the old keyboard (which had worked for a while). No trouble since using the new one it came with.

Edited by ejoan, 12 January 2015 - 03:52 PM.

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:59 AM

Excellent!!

Glad to hear that all is well

It's possible that there was enough working in the old keyboard to allow a partial start but failed when the OS started to get interactive as part of the inventory / startup process

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users