Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint goes Jibberty jibberter

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

Ive installed Linux Mint Mate 17 on a formated hard drive and after using it for a while,trying to find my way around on this unfamiliar system Ive found it seems to be full of glitches like if I click on Firefox browser the last page I was on comes up,not the google start page?(it worked the first few times?) It doesnt matter if I delete the page from the address bar,exit and click firefox browser from the menu it will be their again? Another thing is when I download an application,double click it and try to run it, the file breaks up into many seperate files,there isnt any exe file amongst them to double click to open it? Is this the Mint OS or me not knowing what Im doing?  

Edited by blueballs, 01 December 2014 - 09:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Another thing is when I download an application,double click it and try to run it, the file breaks up into many seperate files,there isnt any exe file amongst them to double click to open it? Is this the Mint OS or me not knowing what Im doing?

Are you downloading Windows .exe? No wonder its not working. Use The Linux Mint Software Centre to get software.

Or

Try a .deb file.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/osmoma/audio-recorder/ubuntu/pool/main/a/audio-recorder/audio-recorder_1.5-7~utopic_i386.deb

Download that file it's just an audio recorder, Double click it and software centre will open

http://youtu.be/HpvKjpPe90Y

Firefox browser the last page I was on comes up,not the google start page?(it worked the first few times?)

Click on edit- preferences then change the tab to show my home page or show blank page.

2i9s109.png

Edited by NickAu1, 01 December 2014 - 10:11 PM.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:36 PM

Is this the Mint OS or me not knowing what Im doing?

Either, both or neither. How long is a piece of string?

1. Mate is that the one you downloaded the iso the other week from (NOT) AARNET?
  2. Are you able to complete a full session in Firefox, moving around the Net, opening tabs &c, and is it Firefox 33.0 you are using?
  3. Are you able to post screenshots? If not familiar with posting screenshots, read Moderator Stolen's Post here. And familiarise yourself with "Screenshot" (see my first screenshot)
  4. Once you get the hang of that, open Firefox, go to Edit-Preferences and screenshot there (see 2nd screenshot)

there isnt any exe file amongst them to double click to open it?

6. Say goodbye to .exe, this is Linux, but "Don't panic Captain Mainwaring". .exe does not work in Linux, thank God.
  7. Which applications and how were you atrtempting to download them?

zFfiKPq.png

and

EpBmdNi.png

LMM should look like this above

I see Nick is on the scene now, but since I had done 90% of this reply and it has relevance, I'll add it.

By all means follow Nick, probably doesn't need two of us, but I could do with answers to those questions, even if it takes some time.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

Edited by wizardfromoz, 01 December 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

How to install software in Linux Mint with software manager

http://youtu.be/oD18ZmPXcog

#5 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:32 AM

Another thing is when I download an application,double click it and try to run it, the file breaks up into many seperate files,there isnt any exe file amongst them to double click to open it? Is this the Mint OS or me not knowing what Im doing?

Are you downloading Windows .exe? No wonder its not working. Use The Linux Mint Software Centre to get software.

Or

Try a .deb file.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/osmoma/audio-recorder/ubuntu/pool/main/a/audio-recorder/audio-recorder_1.5-7~utopic_i386.deb

Download that file it's just an audio recorder, Double click it and software centre will open

http://youtu.be/HpvKjpPe90Y

Firefox browser the last page I was on comes up,not the google start page?(it worked the first few times?)

Click on edit- preferences then change the tab to show my home page or show blank page.

2i9s109.png

I got as far as installing the recorder then it got stuck at about 80%,(installing dependencies) there is a message to press different keyboard letters for options,I pressed n for default to keep the current app but nothing happens?  Now I cant delete the software manager page,it wont respond?     PS I used the exe file as an example.

Edited by blueballs, 02 December 2014 - 02:41 AM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:45 AM

Never mind , I think you have a 64 bit Operating system.  To install software from a double click it MUST be a .deb. There is no need to use .deb's Your software Manager has all the software you need. Click Start and its under system.

Image stolen from Wiz's post.

zFfiKPq.png

How about your browser now?

#7 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:10 AM

Never mind , I think you have a 64 bit Operating system.  To install software from a double click it MUST be a .deb. There is no need to use .deb's Your software Manager has all the software you need. Click Start and its under system.

Image stolen from Wiz's post.

zFfiKPq.png

How about your browser now?

Yay! Now I understand? Its all go thunderbirds.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:16 AM

Now I understand?

If you do not understand anything just ask.

#9 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:39 AM

Good on you fellas,I wouldnt be able to do any of this stuff without your help! As always, thanks and its appreciated.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:40 AM

REALLY (not shouting) Happy for you bb.

:bananas: :bananas: Wiz

#11 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:35 AM

REALLY (not shouting) Happy for you bb.

:bananas: :bananas: Wiz

Its no wonder the Linux OS threw a spasm coz I was downloading and trying to run Firefox Adobe reader etc...etc...

#12 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:37 AM

Whats happening with the tick boxes on Mint? Are the green x marked boxes ticked or unticked? Or alternatively are the unmarked white boxes unticked? Its confusing because windows has a tick to activate,does Mint use an x to activate or cancell? Another thing is,I get a message(unable to get exclusive lock) usually means that APT-get or Aptitude is running? I cant find anything running? Ive been trying to mount some hard drives as well,the tutorial mentions CD-Roms and Floppy disks but how can they be file systems ? This is very confusing stuff? 

Edited by blueballs, 02 December 2014 - 06:14 AM.

#13 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

Ive read the tutorial on mounting file systems and the help file on the terminal but it may as well been written in chinese for all the sense it made? I think I found what app was running it was WOT web of trust. an add on that was running in the background so I switched it off. I cant shut this computer down now? Its says it is going to shut down in 60 seconds,then it restarts.before this started I had options to restart or whatever? This OS isnt for people like me thats for sure,I dont know why theyve made it so hard to use?

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

Slow down you move too fast, you've got to make the morning last - Simon & Garfunkel, Feelin' Groovy

Whats happening with the tick boxes on Mint? Are the green x marked boxes ticked or unticked? Or alternatively are the unmarked white boxes unticked?

I take it you are in Synaptic Package Manager (aka SPM or Synaptic), known as Package Manager under Linux Mint?

What app or apps are you trying to install? I take it you have chosen one which needs dependencies (a bit like Common Files under Windows) and it is showing a number of boxes after you have ticked Apply.

We can go in this way, or else chances are you can find the app using Software Manager, above Package Manager in Menu - type in the app you are looking for in the Search field (with magnifying glass) and press Enter.

Ive been trying to mount some hard drives as well,the tutorial mentions CD-Roms and Floppy disks but how can they be file systems ?

Which hard drives? Are these on other than the "Pavlova"? And which tutorial?

Shutdown - at Terminal, type sudo poweroff, press Enter, enter password (doesn't move) press Enter

Gotta fly, back in two hrs, Nick will probably swing by on his smoko

Read and practice that screenshot posting I mentioned. We need screenshots, Ta.

:wizardball:

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hi blueballs, back from town gotta load of washing and waiting on my Missus to get back from Doctors & buy her a cuppa.

Sing out if you need anything and I'll be around.

Keep the faith

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users