Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's Me Again...American Megatrends Disk Failure Imminent

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Gemma_Mac

Gemma_Mac

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

American Megatrends

WDC WD5000AAKS 65YGA0

Hard Disk Failure is Imminent

Please back up hard disk and have it replaced!

Press F10 for Setup, Press F2 to Continue

My pc just recovered from Poweliks / Adclicker trojan with dc3's help.

Thread is here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553837/problem-with-7zip-leaving-zips-in-temp/

Speccy ran previously in that thread:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NdhcfMCbY03XoIJuO0zaJCS

Computer is:

HP Pavilion m9000t

Windows Vista, SP2

NOTES: Some things that happened since Friday after using the computer and making sure things were working.

Installed Flash player update.  Norton Full System Scan ran late Friday night.  Everything normal.

Yahoo Toolbar showed up in IE9 out of the blue.  I did have it in add-ons but it was disabled permanently but I could only disable it temporarily.  When I tried to disable permanently, it said contact system administrator.  So I uninstalled it from Control Panel/Programs.

Sunday night I got a performance alert from Norton NIS about high usage problem and 176 actions performed.  I copied to notepad and from what I can remember it had something to do with Firefox cache/doomed files and I think they were deleted when I cleared Firefox cache.

I ran Malwarebytes scan Sunday night.  Normal.

Shut down the computer normally and turned it on today and got the Megatrends  warning.

My priority is to backup my files. Photos, videos, documents, etc.  I was organizing some files over the weekend so I could do a backup.

The Megatrends screen has been up all day.  I have no idea what happens when I press F10 or F2 or which one to press.

Edited by Gemma_Mac, 01 December 2014 - 08:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:18 PM

F10 will take you to BIOS setup. F2 will continue to boot to Windows. What is interesting is Speccy shows the SMART status as good.

#3 Gemma_Mac

Gemma_Mac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Speccy was run October 31 during the process of cleaning out trojans.  So a month ago.

Not sure how BIOS works.  If I want to do a backup which do I choose F10 or F2?  And what if Windows doesn't start?

What is the best way to backup without causing more problems?

HP has a system recovery that would give me the option to do a backup but I don't know if it applies here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00814731&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c01155830/en_us/c00814731/loc:4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N482

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

Click F2. If Windows does not start then you can access the drive by putting it into a USB enclosure, using a USB adapter, or using a small linux distro to copy the files over to an external drive. Puppy linux is not that hard to work with. See if Windows boots by pressing F2.

Dont bother with the HP utility.

#5 Gemma_Mac

Gemma_Mac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

I clicked F2 and it went to another black screen:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_

Something similar happened once during the other problem.  I got an Err1Err3 screen.  I think I just held down the power button because there was bad weather and I had to do something.  It started normally after that.

PS:  Thank you, by the way, for answering my call for help.

Can I turn this thing off for tonight?

Edited by Gemma_Mac, 01 December 2014 - 10:11 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

Yes, you can turn off the computer.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device   Has me worried. That means that BIOS does not detect the drive and if BIOS does not detect the drive, it may have failed to a point where software recovery is not possible but we can try tomorrow.

#7 Gemma_Mac

Gemma_Mac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

I can't help but think this might have something to do with my card reader or USB.  I had used it before I got the Err1Err3 error last time.

I had questions about my USB ports working correctly after we finished cleaning out the trojans.  We got that straight, I think.

When I was checking around the computer this weekend to make sure things were working, I also put an SD card into card reader.  It didn't disconnect properly even with "safely remove".  I don't use it often because of that because I have to shut down for it to disconnect.  I looked in Device Manager and saw the little yellow alert and had a problem code: 47.

Edited by Gemma_Mac, 01 December 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#8 Gemma_Mac

Gemma_Mac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:43 PM

Okay.  Thank you.  We'll try tomorrow.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

If the drive is not detected in BIOS, it could also mean a problem with the SATA port itself. If you boot up tomorrow and get the same message I would remove the drive and place it in an enclosure. You can also use one of these. When removing the drive you should remove the power cord and ground yourself on some bare metal of the case. Also be sure to avoid touching the PCB or the drive.

You have access to another computer, correct? You are posting to this thread but I'm not sure anymore with all these mobile devices.

Edit: You can also move the sata cable of the drive to another SATA port if the drive is not detected. Make sure that all the data and power cables to the drive and motherboard are connected. Same precautions. Remove Power and ground yourself first.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 December 2014 - 10:53 PM.

#10 Gemma_Mac

Gemma_Mac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:51 AM

It booted up normally.  I disconnected from home wifi / internet.  I opened a few folders.

Yes, I'm on an Asus Eeepc netbook connected to the home wifi.  

I don't know if I would feel comfortable opening up the computer to get the hard drive.  I've never opened a computer before.

I would probably get a repair service or a friend of a friend to do it.  Someone who has done this before.

Things were working faster last week after we ran scans and cleaned trojans.  I'm remembering now that I think Poweliks affected Windows Search Indexer so when I open a folder now full of a lot of pictures I see the green search or download going across the top of Windows explorer.  It always did that when I deleted the thumbnail cache so I thought it was just building up again.

Device Manager has cleared the little yellow warning in Card Reader.

I don't hear any noises coming from the computer.  One other thought.  This computer is 7 years old.  I live in a rural area and dust is a problem.  I hadn't used that Card reader in  years.a couple years  Do you think it dislodged some dust and affected the hard drive.

Is there a scan or something you want me to run or check while it's working that won't strain things?

Finally, if the system is fragile, what is the best way to back up and put the least strain on the system / drive?  If putting the hard drive in an enclosure is best than I'll go with that if there is no other good way.

Edited by Gemma_Mac, 02 December 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

If the computer booted normally then there is no reason to put it in an external enclosure. Copy your important data to an external hard drive or Flash drive as soon as possible while the computer is still working. After the data is copied, then you can check the drive using GSmartcontrol, running the short test first. That would put the least strain on the drive. You have access to another computer, correct?

Dust should not affect a HDD. They are sealed.

#12 Gemma_Mac

Gemma_Mac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

I have the usb drive ready to go.  When you say copy important data do you mean copy/paste or drag/drop? Or should I use Windows backup?  Which is best?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Copy and paste or drag and drop is okay. Just do not move the files, only copy. Do not use microsofts backup. Copy your data and also remember to backup your brpwser bookmarks if you have any. If you use an email client instead of webmail, you will need to back up your email and contacts.

#14 Gemma_Mac

Gemma_Mac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

Thank you.  Will do.  Crossing fingers and toes and saying a lot of prayers. :)

Are there any running programs or processes I should turn off or anything else like that to help the process.

Should I copy subfolders first or the whole folder?  Like my Pictures folder is 60 GB.  Is it better to copy subfolders one at a time?

Edited by Gemma_Mac, 02 December 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

No, simply copy your important data to the flash drive. After you are sure you have everything copied, then run Gsmartcontrol.

Edit: I would only copy a few files at a time instead of everything at once. After some are copied, take the flash drive to another computer and see if the files can be opened normally.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2014 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users