Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pny flash drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:15 PM

HI,This what ineed info. about,i have a 64GB PNY flash that i would like to use as a backup on my sons WIN7 OS PC to back up his new SEAGATE 1TB HDD which has about 40GB used on it right now.
What i have not yet is go PNY on how to use their as i wanted to see other peoples way doing this
and i also thought about partitioning my SEAGATE 1TB HDD to transfer what i get on the PNY USB
from my sons PC to use as backup for his PC.
I have legal disks for both PC'S so if i run into problems i can re-install WIN7 on to both PC'S if need be,is this the way to go,thank's

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

Depending on your son's interests a 64 Gb stick might not last too long !

If you are merely concerned with backing up his data, then drag and drop in Windows Explorer will do the job very easily. If you want to back up an image of of his disk then take a look at Macrium Reflect which you can get here -

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I have never used it personally, but it is well regarded by other users on BC.

I would not have thought that you would need to partition the HD on your computer to copy your son's files to, You certainly can, but why bother ?  Just create a folder with an appropriate name (Son's_files perhaps ?) and copy the contents of the memory stick into this folder.

In the longer term, this stick will run out of capacity - 64 Gb will NOT take 1000Gb of data !  An external hard drive would be the best choice for that, and if you got a 2 Tb model you could share it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

The external drive is the better solution. You might want to consider a 3T drive so that you can retain the old backup while creating a new one [just in case] The old one can then be deleted so the space is available to do the same routine on the other system.

Just a thought

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users