Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making "removable disk"s into "local disk"s

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:23 PM

SanDisk used to sell very good 64 gigabyte USB flash drives, when i plugged them inot my windows 8 64 bit laptop computer they registered as "Local Disk"s, and appeared in the top line on the "my computer" page in the file explorer, alongside my hard drive partitions C:\ and D:\ . Now however i find i am plugging in NEW USB drives and thye are registering as "Removable Disk"s, on the "my computer" page in the file explorer thye are appearing on the second line down, alongside my CD/DVD drive. This is a problem because "local disk"s could have system images written to them from "windows 7 file recovery" but "removable disk"s won't allow this.

Old USB drives (of sizes 16, 32 and 64 gigabytes) still register as being "local disk"s when plugged in.

I'm am guessing there is a setting somewhere that can be altered to turn the "removable disk"s into "local disk"s so that they can be used for putting system images on, the flash drives SanDisk was making a few months back were treated as local disks and i doubt they have made a radical change to thier hardware in that time, infact the appearance and packaging of the drives hasn't changed at all.

How can i "reprogram" or otherwise modify the removable disks so they become the more versatile local disk type?

I don't even see what the difference is, so surely it can't be hard to convert a device from one type to th other, nor do i see why manufacturers would sell a drive which registred itslef as a removable disk not a local one, all this does is limit it's uses without giving any extra functionality or storage capacity.

I have already tried formatting to NTFS but that didn't help the matter, the USB stubbornly insisted it was a removable disk not a local one.
I also tried looking in "device manager" under control panel and in the settings window that is reached by clicking on "computer" in the left hand column in file explorer and then on "manage" (this brings up some window where you can see partitions and drive settings and such) but couldn't find any relevant looking options in there.
Further i tried searching around under the options which can be reached by right clicking on the drive in file explorer and goign into "properties" but this couldn't help me find an option either.
I know what is wrong, these new USB sticks are giving their type as removable disks not local ones but i can't find how to edit this type.Please help me find how to convert them from removable disks to local disks, i need them to change so i can use them for making system images on.

Thank You

Edited by rp88, 01 December 2014 - 06:25 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

Sandisk did change them from Local to Removable to stay in compliance with Windows 8 :scratchhead:  As far as I know there is no windows hack. The usb's controller controls that. However, There might be some hardware adapter hack not sure. I suppose you could make a backup on the hd then copy it over. Microsoft's backup sucks IMO. This is just another reason not to use it. Third party software like Acronis True Image and others works waaaaaay better and compresses those images. You can backup to whatever you want, even to a cloud storage. Hopefully by Windows 10 Microsoft can fix that??

Edited by technonymous, 02 December 2014 - 12:19 AM.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:45 PM

They complied fine with my purposes (ON WINDOWS 8) before, now they are a problem, compliance my (insert part of body which might be better not discussed in polite company).

When you say "hardware adapter hack", is this something simple that can be done from a settings menu somewhere to change the setup of the USB device, or is it some sort of complex thing that involves ripping open a USB stick and getting out a soldering iron and a microscope? Do you know anything more about how sandisk performed the operations on the USB sticks so they would become removable not local, is it something in the USB's firmware? or something hardwired onto the chip? or something stored within the USB's own memory which could be written over with data that would identify the USB stick in such a way it would "install" itself as a local disk?I would really appreciate anyone who can explain what the true difference between removable and local disks is and what piece of data windows uses to make the decision between the two, then i might be able to find exactly what needs changing and edit the particular piece of data that is used to jdge whether a disk is removable or local.

Tell you what though, i've just looked at sandisk's site. loads of people complaining of the exact opposite (complaining about their disks showing up as local, just as i liked mine to), sandisk should have designed the drives so there was a switch on them "flip left to make removable, flip right to make local".

Edited by rp88, 01 December 2014 - 10:01 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:36 AM

They complied fine with my purposes (ON WINDOWS 8) before, now they are a problem, compliance my (insert part of body which might be better not discussed in polite company).

When you say "hardware adapter hack", is this something simple that can be done from a settings menu somewhere to change the setup of the USB device, or is it some sort of complex thing that involves ripping open a USB stick and getting out a soldering iron and a microscope? Do you know anything more about how sandisk performed the operations on the USB sticks so they would become removable not local, is it something in the USB's firmware? or something hardwired onto the chip? or something stored within the USB's own memory which could be written over with data that would identify the USB stick in such a way it would "install" itself as a local disk?I would really appreciate anyone who can explain what the true difference between removable and local disks is and what piece of data windows uses to make the decision between the two, then i might be able to find exactly what needs changing and edit the particular piece of data that is used to jdge whether a disk is removable or local.

Tell you what though, i've just looked at sandisk's site. loads of people complaining of the exact opposite (complaining about their disks showing up as local, just as i liked mine to), sandisk should have designed the drives so there was a switch on them "flip left to make removable, flip right to make local".

It's hardware based a tiny little controller chip inside the usb stick. Not sure if there is an adapter or not. I was saying it might possible someone could make one. Some of those usb multi adapters might read as local disk, but take micro sd, sdcard etc. It's possible those might work. I have one, but I don't have a new sandisk sdcard to test that theory. Another idea might work is creating a symbolic link. Windows might think it is saving it to a directory on c:\mybackup but it actually points to the USB F:\mybackup

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:33 AM

Hi,

Check this it will give you more information on the problem...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

I'm afraid i didn't really understand either of those answers.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hi,

Check this it will give you more information on the problem...

Thanks for the info there Sleepydude I knew there must be a way to trick it. :lol: I am sure someone might build an adapter dongle that would do just that. The only caveat that I can see arising here is that it might break the functionality of the drive using a different driver. Some USB 3.0 need a special driver to function. However, as far as "Windows Backup" is concerned, I don't see why a symbolic link wouldn't work in tricking the system into thinking that the backup folder is on the volume C: & D:, but it points to F: 'removable'. I could be wrong I haven't tested it.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hi,

I'm afraid i didn't really understand either of those answers.

In another words you need a tool to change the removable media bit (firmware) compatible with the SanDisk drives.

Another solution here is to trick windows to see the device as local hard disk.

Edited by SleepyDude, 02 December 2014 - 04:37 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#9 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

I don't trust downloading tools or drivers to do this, can it be done just with tools already in windows?

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:46 PM

I don't trust downloading tools or drivers to do this, can it be done just with tools already in windows?

No.

___
Rui

#11 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:07 PM

I got in contact with sandisk, they seem to think it is impossible to convert their "removable" disks into "local" disks. Which is pretty pathetic. I don't think i trust downloading tools to try and convert this, and i certainly don't trust fiddling around with drivers(i know the old rule "if a driver works, don't touch it"), that's why i hoped there was some simple thing built into windows. Anyway, does anyone know if there are USB stick manufacturers (who do 64 gigbyte sticks) who are still making "local disk" type devices and have not (nor are they soon planning to) switch over to making devices formatted as "removable disk"s. There was no change in appearance or packaging of sandisk drives when this change happened so i can't look at them before buying to work out whether any might be of the old sort, are there USB drive manufacturers who have not made their disks show up as "removable".

Edited by rp88, 08 December 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:11 PM

I got in contact with sandisk, they seem to think it is impossible to convert their "removable" disks into "local" disks. Which is pretty pathetic. I don't think i trust downloading tools to try and convert this, and i certainly don't trust fiddling around with drivers(i know the old rule "if a driver works, don't touch it"), that's why i hoped there was some simple thing built into windows. Anyway, does anyone know if there are USB stick manufacturers (who do 64 gigbyte sticks) who are still making "local disk" type devices and have not (nor are they soon planning to) switch over to making devices formatted as "removable disk"s. There was no change in appearance or packaging of sandisk drives when this change happened so i can't look at them before buying to work out whether any might be of the old sort, are there USB drive manufacturers who have not made their disks show up as "removable".

It will take some time in researching, but the only thing I can think of is just getting an external usb hard drive in an enclosure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users