Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable UAC Notification for Old Software ONLY

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

I have old software running on my PC. I have run the Program Compatibility Trouble Shooter and they work fine. Every time I open one of these programs, I get the annoying  UAC  notification, "Do You Want to Allow the Following Program to Make Changes to this Computer".

I want to keep this notification, but not for the software I already know is installed. Is it possible to disable this notification ONLY for the older software I have installed on my PC? 

I have not been able to find out how or if this can be done with out disabling the notification completely in the UAC settings. 

Thank you!

Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

UAC is not discriminating - it's a binary function (on or off). There are different levels of on, but you cannot select programs to eliminate from UAC notifications.

#3 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

Dang! I was afraid of that!

Wondering if there is some other program I can install in place of UAC notifications that can do what I want?

-Henry Ford

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

You can do it through Task Scheduler but it may not work on Windows 8. You will need to launch the software from a shortcut.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

Well, assuming the above method does indeed work I sincerely apologize. I typically disable UAC on my systems and this is the first time I've run across this particular procedure.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Yes.  This method is also covered in this article.  Also, while you may be an experienced enough user to turn off UAC, I would not recommend this to less experienced users as it would be defeating one of the built-in protections of the operating system.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

Why, may i ask, do you wish to turn it off? Surely all it means is you must make 1 extra click when you want to open a program, this little bit more bother is worth the security advantages that UAC gives. I assume the old software is able to open but you simply have to click through the consent prompt first.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

I've been out of pocket for a while and haven't been in the internet much to check this thread. 

Agouti, thanks for the link. That looks like the thing I'm looking for! 

rp88.......I don't want to turn off the UAC notifications completely. I just don't want to see this annoying message every single time I open a file that uses some of my older software. I suppose I could just buy newer software, but what I have works just fine. I'm not about to spend several thousand to upgrade my software because Microsoft couldn't be bothered to design a program that will remember my choices. 

Yes, it literally would be several thousand to upgrade the software I use in my business. 

-Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users