Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MacBook Pro, Dell, or Tablet?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 brigg

brigg

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:03 PM

It seems like I can put most all my data on the cloud...so then I really only need a computer for programs like Word and Excel and Photoshop, so is there a way to do that wihtout a full blown computer? Or should I get a MacBook Pro (used) or just keep my Dell XP laptop until there's another major shift?

Kansas City Mo area - Central time zone 

Dell D620 Laptop    -   Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3     -     CPU:  Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz 51 °C     -  Yonah 65nm Technology

RAM:  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)    -     Motherboard:  Dell Inc. 53 °C     -     Graphics:  Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)
Storage:  74GB SAMSUNG HM080HI (SATA) 36 °C     -     Optical Drives:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C     -     Audio:  SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
PAE Enabled - Installation Date: 3/20/2009     -     Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)     -     Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (Dell)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

I you don't actually need Word and Excel, in other words you just need a word processor and spreadsheet program, you might check out a Chromebook.  The Chromebooks require an Internet connection as everything is in the cloud, but this cuts the cost of the machine significantly.

#3 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

Thanks, Kilroy, I'll take a look!

I do sometimes use Photoshop, not sure there is a cloud version of that.

Could I ask you, what is your cloud solution for storage?

Dell D620 Laptop    -   Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3     -     CPU:  Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz 51 °C     -  Yonah 65nm Technology

RAM:  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)    -     Motherboard:  Dell Inc. 53 °C     -     Graphics:  Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)
Storage:  74GB SAMSUNG HM080HI (SATA) 36 °C     -     Optical Drives:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C     -     Audio:  SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
PAE Enabled - Installation Date: 3/20/2009     -     Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)     -     Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (Dell)

#4 Greg-.-

Greg-.-

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:22 PM

I can comment in on Macbook pro side of things. There also is some good apps for mac os for word processing spread sheets etc.

Chromebook is also something to look at with google drive what not.

#5 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

I'll def take a look at Chromebook.

How / where do you all store on the cloud?
I want to back up or just move everything to the cloud now, esp. my outlook files. 

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

If you're looking for something that will last you. The MacBook Pro will do (my current one is 5 years old and running like a champ with OSX Mavericks, haven't updated it to Yosemite yet). Even though they are quite expensive, with a unix-base backing it, it'll last much longer, and won't require so many reformats (reinstallations of the OS). It's largest concern is compatibility, but photoshop and many word processors are already prominent on the MacBook, so for those it's fine.

mYIGVc5.png

#7 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

Thanks, everyone!

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

As far as the online cloud storage goes, you can get a free account with 5GB of storage on dropbox. If you have a google account you get an automatic 15GB of storage. You can also purchase additional storage on both dropbox and google.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 Elizabeth R

Elizabeth R

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

My budget for the new computer is:  up to $600; negotiable

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? College research, Email with Gmail & comcast; internet surfing; I use Google Docs with our study group instead of WORD.  

What software do you intend on using on the computer?  Windows 7 or something you suggest

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?  Never have or will

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?  I have a habit of keeping internet tabs open

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?  I do store pictures of videos of kids, but in the process of putting them on a 2 Terabyte external drive

Will you be overclocking?  don't know what that is

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?  whomever has the best price.  I search thoroughly for the best buy.

How many monitors are you planning to use?  just the one

Do you need peripherals? OS?  Don't think so

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?  My samsung R580 is running slow, b/c hard drive is full ??  Its too heavy to transport to school and on trips.

I need a computer this week preferably because I'm flying to a conference where it will be needed.  Can you guys help me quickly please?  

#10 Elizabeth R

Elizabeth R

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

I'll def take a look at Chromebook.

How / where do you all store on the cloud?
I want to back up or just move everything to the cloud now, esp. my outlook files. 

I would be intrested in how you like the Chromebook if you purchased one.  This sounds like something I need versus an entire new laptop with an OS.  I'm in the process of learning Cloud.  

Thanks

Elizabeth

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

Okay...something under $600 and portable...nothing requiring a ton resources...very little resources needed for what you describe.

But you want it now...so, you should shop the big box stores rather than the internet unless you want to pay for fast premium shipping.

Walmart has a bunch of 14" to 15" for under $400 with Quad-Core or i3 processors....different name brands...like Dell and HP.

They likely be Windows 8 or 8.1.

Examples: Laptop Computers : Electronics - Walmart.com

Edited by buddy215, 01 January 2015 - 05:27 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

I bought a mac on ebay - has an i7 processor and a 15" screen. I hope it works out. 

As for this one, I will reformat it with Linnux this weekend, after I move all my files to the Cloud. 

Thanks for all the input. 

Now what I want to know more about is this: ."“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”  

― Lawrence M. Krauss

This is crazy. Is that true?

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

Yes, it's true. But don't just accept my opinion. Excellent explanation is given in the link below. Briefly, from another site:

....After the Big Bang, tiny particles bound together to form hydrogen and helium. As time went on, young stars formed when clouds of gas and dust gathered under the effect of gravity, heating up as they became denser. At the stars’ cores, bathed in temperatures of over 10 million degrees C, hydrogen and then helium nuclei fused to form heavier elements.  A reaction known as nucleosynthesis.

This reaction continues in stars today as lighter elements are converted into heavier ones. Relatively young stars like our Sun convert hydrogen to produce helium, just like the first stars of our universe. Once they run out of hydrogen, they begin to transform helium into beryllium and carbon. As these heavier nuclei are produced, they too are burnt inside stars to synthesise heavier and heavier elements. Different sized stars play host to different fusion reactions, eventually forming everything from oxygen to iron.

During a supernova, when a massive star explodes at the end of its life, the resulting high energy environment enables the creation of some of the heaviest elements including iron and nickel. The explosion also disperses the different elements across the universe, scattering the stardust which now makes up planets including Earth........

How much of the human body is made up of stardust?

http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/poster-stardust.cfm

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#14 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:43 AM

Wel, thanks. 

I'm glad for the stars. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users