Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Backup to the Cloud

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brigg

brigg

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

I've recently averted total computer disaster and have realized I need to move to the cloud to free myself from total dependence on this computer.

What cloud storage are the best, and is there a tool to move data and keep it usable (not compressed)?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 December 2014 - 06:36 PM.
moved from General Chat

Kansas City Mo area - Central time zone 

Dell D620 Laptop    -   Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3     -     CPU:  Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz 51 °C     -  Yonah 65nm Technology

RAM:  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)    -     Motherboard:  Dell Inc. 53 °C     -     Graphics:  Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)
Storage:  74GB SAMSUNG HM080HI (SATA) 36 °C     -     Optical Drives:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C     -     Audio:  SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
PAE Enabled - Installation Date: 3/20/2009     -     Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)     -     Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (Dell)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:14 AM

Windows 8, use your outlook.com email account (Create one if need be).

or buy a NAS and just backup weekly by imaging windows to baremetal.

#3 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:29 AM

I should have said I have a Dell laptop and am using XP.

I have google drive.

I have data in Word, Excel, photoshop, and Outlook. I'm a bit concerned about Outlook.

Dell D620 Laptop    -   Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3     -     CPU:  Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz 51 °C     -  Yonah 65nm Technology

RAM:  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)    -     Motherboard:  Dell Inc. 53 °C     -     Graphics:  Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)
Storage:  74GB SAMSUNG HM080HI (SATA) 36 °C     -     Optical Drives:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C     -     Audio:  SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
PAE Enabled - Installation Date: 3/20/2009     -     Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)     -     Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (Dell)

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

This is how to use an online backup service:

1.visit the site (gmail, mediafire, amazon has one these days, skydrive, onedrive, dropbox, etc, etc ,etc)
2.don't download their software tools
3.login
4.find the upload button
5.click it and a file browser should open
6.select the files you want to upload
7.click the "open" button in the file browser
8. the file browser window closes, wathc as a progress bar drags itself across the screen at a geological rate
9.your file is now backed up int the cloud
10.logout of the website
11.log back in and check the files you uploaded are there
12.logout again, your backup is complete
13.now repeat with another backup service whcih is toally independent of the one you have already backed up to, this way if one's company goes bust or stops ofering the service then your backusp with the other company are unaffected
14.If the data you are backing up is private then put it in an encrypted 7z archive before you upload it. Upload the encrypted archive, the cloud backup compay will not be able to see what is inside the archive as thye won't know the password you used for it.
15.This works easily for word documents, excel spreadsheets, photshop images as thye can be easily found on your hardrive using the file browser. it's a little tougher for outlook as one of two things can happen, either outlokk aready stores your emails online, or thye are tucked away n a foldr on your harddrive. If it's the latter they can be backed up like word couments and photoshop pictures, you just need to navigate the file browser to the folder thye are hiding in.

As far as compression goes, these services don't compress the data, thye store it as it is and when you download it later it is exactly the same file as you uploaded. If you use 7z to put data in an encrypted archive then technically you have just compresseed it, but uncompressing a 7z archive will give the exact same data as went in. No detail/resoltion will be lost in this type of compression and decompression process.

Edited by rp88, 05 December 2014 - 10:29 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:42 PM

Great, thanks.

I notice there's no backup wizard mentioned (or needed, apparently).

If I want to back up to Google Drive and/or Dropbox, do you think it's as safe as my password is strong?

I'm beginning to wonder about just backing to a big flash drive.

#6 Greg-.-

Greg-.-

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

Great, thanks.

I notice there's no backup wizard mentioned (or needed, apparently).

If I want to back up to Google Drive and/or Dropbox, do you think it's as safe as my password is strong?

I'm beginning to wonder about just backing to a big flash drive.

you can either go with a big flash drive or get yourself a decent size external hard drive// around this time of the year you'll find some pretty amazing deals / bangs for your buck.

#7 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:14 PM

My hard drive is 55 gig - total.

I have over 60 programs.

My data is all over the place.

It would be cool to have a wizard that could locate data file locations, create a copy on an external drive, and that I could run weekly or monthly ONLY on the files that updated.

If I update on a regular basis, a wizard like this seems so important.

What are your thoughts.

Many thanks.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

"I have over 60 programs."
Do you use them all? if not you should uninstall some, thye are takng up hard drive space and slowing your system unless you actually need them.

"My data is all over the place."
you mean it's randomly scattered in thousands of folders all across the harddrive? There is a quick way you could find data that needs backing up. First consider file extensions, write a list on paper of all the extensions you actualy use. This would be things like .jpg .png .gif .doc .docx .ppt .pptx .avi .mpg .mp4 .zip .7z .txt and so on.
Then at the end of each day you work on the computer.
In the in windows file explorer go to "my computer" so you can see all your drives listed. type into the search bar "datemodified:today .jpg" this will find every jpg file you have edited today. copy all these files onto your flash drive. then type in "datecreated:today .jpg" this will find every jpg you have made today. copy these to your flash drive, don't let files overwrite each other, use the option to rename duplicates of file.extensions to file(1).extension. Then repeat for the other file formats "datemodified:today .png" and so on. Copy all these to the flash drive. Then when you are finished go to the flash drive's folder and delete any duplicates that have landed on it. This will be an easy way to back up each day's work even if your files are not very organised.

Edited by rp88, 08 December 2014 - 02:10 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

I appreciate the detailed answer!!

Breaking it down makes it seem super simple. I guess I could just use  *.*   and a date range to deal with the possibility of my forgetting something as well as something happening that I didn't want to happen or wasn't aware of. .

Today I tried out the Search function in My Computer, and went to C drive.

I got

"This folder is not indexed. To search this directory please use Search Companion or add the directory to your index via Options."

I went through the set up in Options. I couldn't change the exclusion of "application data; default user"

It looks like two different items are being excluded.

I of course want everything for the default user.

Any ideas on that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users