Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery cannot be determined

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jskamm

jskamm

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

Can someone help me? Have a Dell laptop-Inspiron N5030. Running Win7 home prem. Having a "battery cannot be determined" or "charged" issue. 

Sometimes on boot up I receive the message "battery cannot be determined" and it says press F1 to continue, F2 for setup, or F5 for diagnostics. 

I've gone into setup to check the battery information. States battery life is at 0%, battery health says its not a Dell battery. AC adapter = 65W. But the battery came with the Dell laptop and is the original Dell battery. Also have Charger Enabled in Power Management within BIOS, too.

Most times it makes through the boot process and when Windows boots up to the desktop I get the error message "The model number for primary battery cannot be determined. This will prevent any battery present from recharging. Please insert a Dell laptop battery.

I've tried to update the bios, but it won't let me. It states that the battery and AC adapter must be connected, or something similar to that. I also have a Dell Latitude laptop and tried swapping out my AC adapter and got the same error messages. So the laptop doesn't work with my ac adapter.  

Is there something else I should be doing or does anyone have any recommendations?  Do  I need a new battery or what? Sure would appreciate any help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

While you get a warning 'battery life is at 0%' does the battery actually charge and, if it does, how long can you run the computer just on the battery for ? 

I am not certain of Dell's expected endurance for a battery in good condition but I imagine it is about 3 hours. Battery capacity falls as batteries get older. You don't say how old this laptop, and battery, are but if you are getting more than an hour's use out of the battery you can consider it serviceable. Noticeably less than an hour when charged suggests it is time for a new battery.

So I would say that if you are getting an hour or more out of this battery then these warning messages are merely a nuisance - just hit 'F1' and continue. Dell are known to be very protective about what is fitted to their computers. But you say that it is a Dell battery and charger that came with the computer.

The possibility exists that somewhere along the way to you somebody fitted a fake battery or charger, fakes of this sort exist. If this is a reasonably recent purchase I would be inclined to speak to my supplier, for advice if nothing else. Depending on the age you may, or may not, have a warranty claim.

Alternatively, do you know anybody else with the same model of laptop ?  If you do, try swapping their battery and charger for yours and see if these error messages continue. If they do, the problem lies inside your computer with the battery sensors and your simplest solution is just to live with it. If they stop, then, depending on the use time on a battery charge you are getting at the moment, it may be time to consider a replacement.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jskamm

jskamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:24 AM

Okay. The laptop is approximately 3 to 4 years old. It's a friends laptop so I'm really not sure. As for charging the battery, it won't accept a charge. I have to keep the AC adapter connected all the time now. So if I'm running the laptop and unplug the AC adapter, my system shuts down completely, because the battery won't hold any charge. So the laptop won't run unless I'm plugged into the AC adapter. So I'm assuming that's why BIOS says the battery life is at 0%. Also, the power icon in the system tray states that the battery is not connected. Is that because the battery life is at 0%?

As for being a fake battery, I don't think it is. My friend said it's the original battery. And the battery is branded with a Dell logo on it. But I guess anything is possible.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Battery is not charging at all. I have the AC adapter connected all the time now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users