Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Secunia PSI on an office computer?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:04 PM

The EULA for Secunia PSI states explicitly that it is to be used only on private personal computers, unless it is linked to a corporate version of Secunia.  I am Manager of a small local government agency (providing drinking water to a town of population just over one thousand).  We have two computers in our office - a desktop that handles mostly customer payments and E-mail, and a laptop used only by me (so far, and no change likely in the near future) mostly to look up technical information, and to write memoranda, E-mails and so forth.  Both computers are on line much of the time (we have a direct high speed link and a router).

The EULA for Secunia PSI states explicitly that this software is for use only on a private personal computer, unless it is linked to a corporate version.  I have used Secunia PSI happily on my personal computers at home, and would like to be able to use it at least on my office laptop.  Question arising, how to go about that?  Ideally we would like to have a license to use it on both machines.

Thanks for enlightenment!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:04 PM

i think you already answered your own question mate, you would have to purchase it for the offie.

At home like you said is fine but if the machine has been purchased under a business/government name then it is classed as commercial.

What sort of info did you specifically want?

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 572 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

In the meantime I've taken a look at the Secunia web site.  The minimum installation for Secunia CSI seems to be for 100 hosts and one admin user.  We have two computers and a grand total of 5 employees, only 3 of whom ever touch a computer.  The two computers are on a WiFi network but in fact they are not using shared or network software.  There is practically no overlap in software or files between the two computers, except basic security stuff (e.g. MBAM Premium) installed separately on each computer.  In other words, we are not actually running "corporate network software" in this situation at all (I do have a little experience of such things, having for some years written, installed and maintained network software in a multi-company corporate network environment).

So I am rather wondering if Secunia CSI would not be overkill for this environment?

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:33 AM

Yes but what i am sayign is, were the computers/laptops purchased under a business/government name or did you buy them with your own money and bring them to work? If its the later, then its your personal machine and you can install it.

When i read their terms, it only asked about the computer and didnt seem to indicate if you had it plugged into a corperatre network it would breach the contract.

Once again, what info are you lookign to get off the machines/laptops?

if its patch management im sure we could run some scripts to get details about software and versions.

run this comamnd in an elevated command prompt, it will list software, name, vendor, version etc etc.

copy /y %WINDIR%\system32\wbem\en-US\*.xsl %WINDIR%\system32\ && wmic /output:"SoftwareDetails.html" product list brief /format:htable.xsl

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 02 December 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

You can't use the personal version.  I caution you against using non-license software.  These days a lot of the software phones home.  I used to work with people who used unlicensed software on their work machines and the company that made the software contacted the company I was working for and demanded payment for the software.  Not only can they collect the cost but:

BSA

In addition, the government can criminally prosecute you for copyright infringement. If convicted, you can be fined up to $250,000, sentenced to jail for up to five years, or both.

#6 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 572 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

That's why I asked the question.  We are a government agency operating with public funds and must of course scrupulously avoid doing anything that even looks improper.

We do not in fact have so much software that keeping it up to date is any major problem.  We have no server and no server-based software.  Secunia CSI would be overkill for our needs, so we will just do without.

My computers at home are purchased with my own money and have nothing to do with anything that goes on in our office.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

This is a list of other software update monitoring tools you may want to check out. I don't know specifically if any can be used for non-personal machines but it doesn't hurt to look into it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 572 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thanks very much for that list.  I was aware of some but not all of them.

Avast! Internet Security also has a software updater function, which on my home computer has worked well.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

You're welcome.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 cyberSAR

cyberSAR

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:19 PM

"We are a government agency operating with public funds"

As a govt agency you may be a non-profit organization. If so, have you considered contacting them to inquire about non-profit use? Many companies offer free or discounted licenses for registered non profit organizations. Doesn't hurt to ask.

#11 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

We are indeed a non-profit public agency, not a commercial company.  We supply drinking water to the town and are prohibited by law from charging our customers more than the actual cost of operation.

So thanks for the suggestion, we will ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users