Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to rename folders

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iced42

Iced42

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

I am currently unable to rename or move folders in Windows 8.1.

I'll right-click the folder and enter a new name, then I'll receive the following error: "Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." Clicking "Try Again" will result in another error: "The file or folder does not exist." Please note the following.

Attempting to move the folder either by dragging or cutting-and-pasting will also result in the error.

Additional Information:

The problem only occurs when renaming or moving folders. I can rename or move files just fine. I can also copy-and-paste folders just fine.

I am logged in as an Administrator. The problem occurs regardless of which account I am logged into. It also occurs in safe mode.

Rebooting does not solve the problem. Scanning with Norton, Malwarebytes, Adware and JRT revealed 0 threats to my PC.

Can anyone help?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

This is due to a corrupt or missing registy key. Download and run the fixit here. I would create a restore point before doing it.

Edit: And Welcome to BC.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 December 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#3 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

This is due to a corrupt or missing registy key. Download and run the fixit here. I would create a restore point before doing it.

Edit: And Welcome to BC.

Don't you think the fact that his PC is missing a very vital part of registry is a sign that his PC may have malware?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,555 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

Not necessarily, it is only one key that is either missing or corrupt.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions

The OP can run a scan with Malwarebytes if he suspects malware.

#5 Iced42

Iced42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

I tried the fix-it from Microsoft and also tried merging the suggested registry key, but to no avail. I believe there are two keys that need to be replaced:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions

They above keys are one of the fixes I found for Windows 8.  

Two problems with this. Unsure if it will work and I need the keys. I don’t have another windows 8 machine, but I do have one with Windows 7, on it. If you could, let me know if the keys will work from Windows 7, also if you think this is a possible fix.

The folder description key I tried was from an old fix and was for Windows Vista. That’s one of the reason why I am so apprehensive about using the registry keys from Windows 7.

Thank you for your quick reply.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,555 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

I can't verify if the registry keys from a Windows 7 computer can be merged with Windows 8. I would be hesitant to do that. Are those keys present in your Windows 8 computer. You could do a refresh, not a reset, but that would require some programs to be reinstalled. I think this will only work if you had Windows 8.1 with the computer and not an upgrade to 8.1 from the store. How long have you had the problem? Can you do a system restore to a date before the problem?

In my Windows 7 computer I have 106 subkeys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 December 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#7 Iced42

Iced42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

Windows 8.1 has 124 subkeys. By the looks of it that wouldn't be a good thing to do.

The other thing that is disturbing this is supposedly caused by a Windows update and there is no clear fix for this. Specially dating back to Vista. It seriously makes you think what’s up with Microsoft!

I was trying to avoid a refresh, but it’s probably the best thing to do.

Thank you JohnC_21, for time and effort.

#8 PRIMO11

PRIMO11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

Found this and it worked perfectly for me with no need to even reboot.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/q1-16/w8_folder_descriptions.zip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users