Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobo & CPU Combo or Not?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 theonlybuster

theonlybuster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

My rig is reaching the point of being out-dated to a point where it's starting to bother me... It's utilizing a LGA 1155 socket. 

I'd like to make my computer beefier and install a few SLI/Crossfire GPUs, but I'm starting to see there aren't any boards that can do this with the socket with the additional features I'm looking for.  So that being said, I'm in the market for a new Mobo and CPU. 

I'm more or less just looking for simple feedback.  Is it worth it to buy a Mobo-CPU combo or is it one better to buy the separately?  I ask because I've HEARD through the grapevine that the combos have been optimized for better performance as well as to make it easier for newer builders to buy with fewer questions/concerns.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

If you purchase a combo from a known vendor like Newegg they will guarantee the combo to be compatible.  Newegg has combo on their Black Friday specials.

http://www.newegg.com/store/EventSaleStore/ID-64?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Branding-_-Sitelinks-_-Cyber-Monday-Combos&gclid=CMeDq76xpcICFQVafgodXhMAjg

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

If you purchase a combo from a known vendor like Newegg they will guarantee the combo to be compatible.  Newegg has combo on their Black Friday specials.

http://www.newegg.com/store/EventSaleStore/ID-64?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-Branding-_-Sitelinks-_-Cyber-Monday-Combos&gclid=CMeDq76xpcICFQVafgodXhMAjg

I kno it's a guarantee that it'll be compatible.  But my question was more on the lines whether or the manufactures build the board (or CPU) with the idea of it being optimized for that particular part or are they pretty much only combo'd together because they're simply compatible?

Edit: Spelling error

Edited by theonlybuster, 01 December 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,688 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

If you looked at the Newegg Black Friday specials you have noticed that there is a wide range of combo for different types of users.  This isn't simply because they are compatible, they try to provides deals for all types of users.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

My question and reason for this thread originally derived from Newegg, Amazon, and TigerDirect combos.  But it sounds like aside from compatibility, but there is no optimization between the two.  Just a simple processor in a compatible board. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

IMO...combos usually are components that may be packaged to eliminate them from inventory of the seller, making way for more recent components.  There's nothing wrong with the components, it's just that they probably are not mainstream any more, in the sense of being pushed as the "latest/greatest for gamer" parts of the week.

When I bought components on a budge...I bought combos.  When I had the money (and will) to pick and choose components, I started going with more research and individual components.

As Dan indicated, there are lots of combos available for many different types of builders with different price considerations.

Whichever way that you go, it's not a reflection of anything other than what want versus what you can afford, IMO.

In addition to Newegg, I suggest taking a look at the Amazon and Tiger Direct sites for a better illustration of what is available in terms of individual components and combos.

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,688 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

There may be instances where it is true that combos are a means of reducing stock which is going out of date.  But a year ago I purchased my motherboard and CPU as a combo from Newegg, both components are still current technologically.  Newegg still sells both of these components.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users