Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.exe files are now .lnk Please help.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 kf4izp1

kf4izp1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:57 AM

I cant open anything to try and fix this issue. If I download a fixer, I cant open it. I can't run anything. I can get into reg edit. and have not been able to remedy.  Any clues?  Please Help me. Any program that is to open with .exe, wont. They have all changed to a .lnk extension. Every time I try to open something, a dialog box pops up and gives me the option to run  or save,  If I click run  its just a revolving door. It doesn't let the program open. 

Edited by kf4izp1, 01 December 2014 - 10:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:48 AM

I moved this to the am i infected forum.

Does a ransom note appear giving information on how to get your files back? Can you submit one of these files to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=3

Thanks

#3 kf4izp1

kf4izp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

What exactly do I need to submit?  Sorry I don't quite understand.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

One of the files that have been converted to .lnk

#5 kf4izp1

kf4izp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

I have sent something.  lol  I hope its what you're asking for. It does have correct extension showing when I sent it it and in its own folder on laptop also correctly given.  But on the desk top the short cuts that are .exe for any program that has that .exe extension. wont work. When I click on it, it's like the down load box appears,..Program appears but then it has still .lnk ending. It'll  asks me to run or save, I hit run since its already on my laptop. Then it wont load up, it says its scanning. And then just comes back into play again in the download box,  but now its twice in there. It will do this for any thing I try to open. ssvagent.exe also nothing will open. when I click run ssvagent the laptop blinks like the page opened up for sec, then back to download box..run / save option

Edited by kf4izp1, 01 December 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:19 PM

Got it and file looks good on my end. My guess is that your executable extensions configuration was corrupted.

Do you know if you are using a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of windows? If your not sure how to determine that, you can use this guide:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/32-bit-or-64-bit-windows/

Then download this program and run it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/fixexec/dl/107/

When it has finished it will create a log. Please post that log and whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit. Also try running an executable after you download and run FixExec

#7 kf4izp1

kf4izp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:47 PM

Im running a 32 bit machine. Its asking me which program I want to  use to open this file, the link you provided. with what? Im sorry, it did download , but need to know how to open.

Edited by kf4izp1, 01 December 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

Download:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/reg/FixExe.reg

Once it is downloaded, double-click on it and allow the registry changes to merge.

Then go to this link and wait until your prompted to download the file. Save this file to your desktop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/fixexec/dl/15/

Then double-click on the FixExec.exe and see if it runs. If it does, please post the resulting log.

#9 kf4izp1

kf4izp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

it extracted completely  and went 100 %  then gave me a this doesn't have a program association for it to do its thing The only way I'm even able to access the internet is by going to "set default programs" & clicking on Microsoft link in there..lol  Thank you so very much for your help.

Edited by kf4izp1, 01 December 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

What extracted completely? Were you able to download the FixExe.reg and double-click on it? Then merge the data?

Then you should double-click on the fixexec.exe and it should run. Nothing should extract.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

Also, is there any adware or alert that pops up when you try to run an executable?

#12 kf4izp1

kf4izp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

the FixExe.reg extracted, but nothing happened after that, except a box appeared( alert I guess)  saying no know program is associated with this file to open it.  no adware or popups popup

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:01 PM

Are you double-clicked on the FixExe.reg first and allowed the data to merge?

#14 kf4izp1

kf4izp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:30 PM

I don't think the data ever merged, It completely extracted ( FixExe.reg ), I didn't get to do anything.. this is exactly what it said after becoming extracted  " This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default program control panel"

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:37 PM

What version of Windows are you running?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users