Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help! DVI-D display was working fine before but now won't display

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jfpchelp

jfpchelp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

My cousin's computer and monitor has unfortunately been roughed around a bit, mainly the display cable was pulled harder then it should. And now when he tried to turn his computer on, there was no display:

His graphics card is an Nvidea and it has 2 outputs DVI-D and DVI-I, he has a digital monitor and we only have one extra analog monitor, no extra cable for testing:

When we plug his digital monitor into the old DVI-D slot, it just shows a blank screen. Monitor powers on/get out of sleep mode, computer turns on we could hear windows start up just no display.

When we plug his digital monitor into the DVI-I, the computer boots the bio, then gets to the window starting up loading screen, then displays a no signal message, then goes blank. So we tried booting in safe mode and everything boots up normally.

We're not sure how we could have the display working again in the DVI-D output, any advise is highly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:57 PM

My first guess would be that the cable needs to be replaced. If the connectors are not molded on, and you feel competent to open them up and check for broken wires, you might be able to resolder them and recover the cable. Personally, I'd replace the cable

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

Then again...the card itself may be fading.

Until you test both the card and different output sources...you won't know.

Louis

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

I would check to make sure the video card is fully inserted in the pci-e slot (it should be but it couldn't hurt to check). And then in safe mode uninstall the driver for the video card, and then see if regular windows mode works again (with DVI-I) (and then later you will have to install the graphics driver again)

As the above folks mention, ideally you want to test the monitor, the cable, and the video card with known working parts (another monitor, computer, and cable) to truly figure out what's broken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users