Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

Not quite sure where this belonged so I posted it here thinking maybe the problem was cause by a virus.

My Stepdaughter informed me that she had lost all her Documents and pictures within the last week on her computer (Windows Vista), but she is not certain of exact time. One of her daughters may have been using it at the time. Anyway, I tried to do a System Restore going back 15 days (Thought I put it in manually) but when it finished everything was still missing. The restore point that was already set up went back 60 days and the system said that may be back to long. For some reason I just do not believe that what I thought I entered manually took. System said enter a description...description of what? I entered the new restore date, but never saw it again after I hit create or add. Would appreciate any suggestions. I'll be getting back together with her Tuesday evening to try one more time. Do you think there is a chance I can retrieve these files and photos back? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

System Restore will NOT bring back missing files.

System Restore affects only Windows system files, programs, and registry settings.

It doesn't touch (delete, bring back etc.) your personal files.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

Wow! I should have done better research. I went to your website although impressive I was not sure where to look for direct help. If these personal files were removed because of a Virus is there a way to retrieve them or are they completely lost? Thank you!

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

It's hard to say.

Since some other people were using that computer...

Did you check Recycle Bin?

Did you search the computer for missing files? Possibly someone moved them somewhere else.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

Yes, that entered my mind, but my first thought was to go back before it happened. I thank you so much for pointing out about Personal files vs System files it will save me a BIG headache and a lot of wasted time. I may have even created more issues. I will do what you suggested. I did think of checking recycle Bin, but that seemed to easy of a solution. That would be fantastic though. Have a great week my friend and thanks for your concern. 

Tom

#6 HackerFun

HackerFun

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:39 PM

If a virus truely is to blame for the deletion of your file then it might've securely deleted the files. (AKA shreded / wiped)

But, it couldn't hurt to try and recover that data.

Try running the free recovery software, Recuva.

Download Link: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

It's a fairly simple software and it's your best chance to get that data back. Don't wait too long! every second you use your computer, data is being written over and that data could be forever gone if you don't act now!

Edited by HackerFun, 01 December 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#7 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:34 AM

Thank you so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users