Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant get to somw websites and other issues

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Font

Font

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

Had the WeCare malware removed with Malwarebytes and Ccleaner then used the all  in one repair tool for windows.  Have also check with Hitman Pro and Spyhunter and there is no other malware in system. Still cant load Steam or  get to battle.net. Also cant install system mechanic it says there is some third party blocking it. Windows firewall is off and havent installed any antivirus program as of yet. Have reinstalled Vista and same problems exist. Any thoughts would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

You said you reinstalled...

Was that a clean reinstall....reformatting the hdd and installing Vista from the Recovery partion?

That would remove malware. 

Spyhunter and System Mechanic are not considered good programs to have installed. Junkware comes to mind.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

Hello Font -

Please see above by buddy215, and also read this.

Have you been able to fully remove SpyHunter "antivirus" program after you had used it ??

Open CCleaner (Do not use the Registry editor part), go to Tools on the left side and check what programs are still listed.

If SpyHunter is, click on that line and click Uninstall at the top right side.

Then we can look for other problems next.

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 30 November 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#4 Font

Font
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

Have 2 drives the one I am currently using has been reformatted and then wiped with Ccleaner then installed vista. Second drive is not installed until  I get the current problem fixed.

#5 Font

Font
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

Have also completely removed spyhunter.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

Check your Device Manager for missing drivers, etc. Access Device Manager - How Do I Access Device Manager in Windows?

Update Windows Vista....you may not be able to do that if malware is blocking it. 

Run Rkill first. DO NOT reboot after running Rkill. RKill Download Use the iExplore.exe button to download.

Read what Rkill does. If you are unable to download Rkill you will need to use another computer to download and then transfer

to the problem computer using a medium such as a flash drive.

After successfully running Rkill, run scans using the programs below.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • If potential threats are detected, ensure that Quarantine is selected as the Action for all the listed items, and click the Apply Actions button.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

POST THE LOG FOR REVIEW.

Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.

• Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
  • Scan potentially unwanted applications
  • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
  • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Font

Font
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

No log file for ESET found no threats

Attached Files

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

What about checking the Device Manager and updating Windows....

#9 Font

Font
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

no issues with device manager and windows is updated

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

Reset internet options to default settings. In the link below you will see instructions for doing that.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings - Windows Help

What browser are you using as the default browser?

#11 Font

Font
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

Have done it before just did it again. Useing Mozilla same issue with internet explorer. Have a Motorola NVG510 modem the wireless has no issues getting to websites. I dont have anything wireless but did check to see if wireless works and it does. Got the same IP address from IP chicken.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

I read some comments about that router and ATT in the link below. You may find some of them relevant and maybe a solution.

Is it true that the modem has four ports but only the computer with ATT proprietary software will work? Like you said, wireless

works...according to the comments. Amazon.com: ATT motorola nvg510 Modem: Computers & Accessories

#13 Font

Font
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:07 PM

Four ports yes but didnt come with software and had no problem till I got thw wecare malware. Cant use link times out. Going to have to find the post about making a bridge in the modem and see if I can figure that out.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

Wecare is just a run of the mill adware program. It should not of caused any damage to the Vista software. Nor would have

affected the modem. Afterall, you did a clean reinstall. Have you tried resetting the modem to default settings? Not sure how

to do that to that particular modem but the info should be readily available online. Usually there is a button to press or using

something like a toothpick to access the button or simply removing the power to the modem and waiting a few minutes before

powering up.

#15 Font

Font
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

Yeah you can do it 2 ways one online can reset it there the the is a reset button but you have to hold until the red lights go out and the green light starts blinking. I just cant figure out why I cant access some sites. Even if I go to amazon.com the site comes up but if I do a search it times out. Been trying to figure this out for a month now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users