Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix not working on Windows 8.1 64bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rfyorkinpdx

rfyorkinpdx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

I just downloaded Combofix and ran it. I got an error saying that I was running Windows 2000 and the software could not work on Win2K.  i am currently running Window 8.1 with all updates on a Lenovo ideapad with Core i7-4500u CPU @ 1.8Gig and 8G of memory.

When I run Malwarebytes then HitMan Pro, neither finds any problems. However, my Browser Chrome Version 39.0.2171.71 m, is running extremely slowly which is usually a sign of it being hijacked. Hence my decision to try and run Combofix.

Can anyone out there help me diagnose what's wrong with my laptop?

Just let me know what files to upload.

Rick York

Edited by Budapest, 30 November 2014 - 08:38 PM.
Moved from Win8 ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

This topic will be moved to another area -

Please note that ComboFix is not designed to run on a Windows 8.1 unit, also if you are infected it can do more harm than good. If you are infected, please read below.

For general ComboFix details please see ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

You can post to Am I Infected for a first opinion, or follow directly as below. There can be a wait of a few days if the Experts get very busy.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs. Note: Windows 8.1 Users will not be able run DDS and create a log

When you have done that, Copy and Paste your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs or you're using Windows 8.1, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one, to prevent others answering incorrectly.

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 30 November 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#3 elmongo2

elmongo2

• Members
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

That's odd. I've run Combofix on regular 8 with no problem.

Edited by elmongo2, 30 November 2014 - 08:44 PM.

People do dumb things. And I'm not talking about paying too much for car insurance either.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:39 AM

That's odd. I've run Combofix on regular 8 with no problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/#entry1511502

:step2: ComboFix System Requirements:

Currently, ComboFix is compatible with:
Windows XP - (32 bit only)
Vista and Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).

Note: Although not listed in the Authorized Guide, ComboFix will run on Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit).

ComboFix is not compatible with Windows 8.1 yet so you cannot get it to run...see the review comments on the authorized download page. If you attempt to use ComboFix on Windows 8.1, it should provide a message alert: ComboFix is not meant to run in 'Compatibility Mode' and exit. This message is intentional by design when attempting to run ComboFix on that operating system.

-- if used on Windows 2000, ComboFix will display this message:

W2k_not_supported.png

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:04 AM

sUBs has advised that he is holding off releasing any working version of his tools for Windows 8.1 which includes both ComboFix and DDS. Meaning he is fully aware of the compatibility issue but needs time for thorough testing to ensure they work safely on that OS. As such, no release date has been provided.

Please follow the instructions provided by noknojon in Post #2.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

Please run the following scans.

Please download and install Emsisoft.

1.  When Emsisoft opens click on Update.

emsisoft6_zpsace019ac.png

2.  Click on Full Scan.

emsisoft7_zps9186dacd.png

3.  After the scan has completed the results will be displayed.  Make sure there is a check in the box of each item found, then click on Quarantine.

emsisoft9_zpsf493a30a.png

4.  After the items have been quarantined click on OK.

emsisoft10_zpscd89d5de.png

5.  After the quarantine has been completed click on Logs.

emsisoft11_zps7f976399.png

6.  Click on Export and save the log to a location which you will be able to find and open.  Open the log, copy and then paste the log in your topic.

emsisoft12_zpsb7365391.png

b]Please run TDSSKiller[/b].

Please download TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

1.  Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

tdss1_zps90132559.png

2.  Check Loaded Modules, Verify Driver Digital Signature, and Detect TDLFS file system.

If you are asked to reboot because an "Extended Monitoring Driver is required" please click Reboot now.

tdsskillermultiple_zps472c18eb.png

3.  Click Start Scan and allow the scan process to run.

tdss4_zps6792a13c.png

4.  If threats are detected select Cure (if available) for all of them unless otherwise instructed.

***Do NOT select Delete!

Click on Continue.

tdss5_zps98fc5887.png

5.  Click on Reboot computer.

Please copy the TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt file found in your root directory (typically c:\) and paste it into your next reply.

Note:  The log may be very long.  You may need to break it into parts to post the whole log.

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to have the time to allow this to run till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

• Click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • The ESET Online Scanner page will open, click on Yes, I agree to the trems of use, then click on Start, the scan will now begine.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

Edited by dc3, 01 December 2014 - 12:53 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users