Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Group Policy requirements?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

Is it true that using 'group policies' and 'software restriction policy' requires connecting to an 'Active Directory' domain and having 'Client for Microsoft Networks' installed? If so, are there any workarounds? What are my options for XP Pro on a standalone PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:47 AM

Group Policy is for Windows Server operating systems. There are no workarounds that I am aware of.

Single PCs use the User Account system. What are you trying to accomplish?

I am wrong. See Louis's post.

Edited by ElfBane, 01 December 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:40 AM

What GP Is and How You Can Use It

Louis

#4 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the link. If I am reading it right, then I do not have to have domain stuff and 'Client for Microsoft Networks' installed, which I was told on another forum was required.

Group Policy is for Windows Server operating systems. There are no workarounds that I am aware of.

Single PCs use the User Account system. What are you trying to accomplish?

I am wrong. See Louis's post.

I am trying to lock down XP Pro using as many different methods as possible. Group Policy, Software Restriction Policy, and Hosts File for starters, then whatever else I can find to make life difficult for script kiddies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users