Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to websites... DNS problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thunder126

thunder126

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:08 PM

I'm having a peculiar problem that I can't seem to resolve for more than a couple days at a time. Every now and then my laptop stops loading webpages. I'm still connected, I can use Skype, and if I'm on Twitter already that site works fine, but new sites won't load and the error I get is either just can't connect to internet or something about the DNS taking too long.

I'm connected wirelessly, the main computer works fine and my phone and tablet can both use the WiFi fine but not my laptop. I've actually had this problem for months and it used to tell me there was an IP conflict.

Using the ipconfig release and renew commands used to work, but now even that doesn't help. Resetting or unplugging the router also used to work, but again, now it does nothing. The only thing that helps now is if I go into the adapter settings and manually configure a new static IP address and use Google's public DNS server. But now even that fix isn't working for more than a couple days at a time, and then it gives me hours of fighting with the settings, changing IPs, switching the DNS back and forth, rebooting the computer, etc etc until it finally decides to work again. And when it works sometimes it only lasts long enough to load a page before it quits working again. At best, like I've said, it works for a couple days without problems and then suddenly quits again.

I really really don't know much about computers like this. The above fixes I've only managed to find after a lotttt of Google searches, but I can't seem to find a permanent solution anymore, which is why I'm here. If anyone can think of a suggestion I'm begging you please make it step by step idiot proof because otherwise I won't understand. Thank you.

I'm running a windows 7, dell inspirion n5010. I use chrome but also have Firefox. If anyone needs more info in order to help let me know.

Edited by thunder126, 30 November 2014 - 04:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Have you tried reinstalling the Wireless Drivers? Sometimes the intel wireless drivers get wonky if your Dell has those. Right click the Wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

#3 thunder126

thunder126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

No I hadn't tried anything like that yet... drivers I don't know much about except to not mess with them.

This the the first line that came up.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_13258086&REV_00

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

Here are the latest intel drivers. The larger download size includes the intel wireless software. I would download that version and pick the one depending on your OS, 32 or 64bit. Install in an admin account.

Create a Restore Point first. If you do not have a System Rescue Disk, create one also.

#5 thunder126

thunder126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

It seems like it installed well and didn't mess anything up... I'm still connected to the net and I was even able to stop using the static IP and google's DNS settings. So far so good. I'll let you guys know if the problem persists. Thank you!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:22 PM

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users