Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adventures in Easylifeapp search removal....reset doesn't help

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

I have had my current laptop for about seven months.  I never had any kind of problem with it until about two weeks ago, at which time I noticed a marked slowdown in performance, programs freezing, internet connection dropping, etc.  Then I noticed that every time I opened Chrome, two tabs would open at once, and neither of them were set to the correct homepage (Google).  Instead, they were opening to this easylifeapp search page.  

Now, I know this had to have been installed when I installed something else; I just can't think what it might have been, because I don't often download programs.  I honestly don't think I have downloaded any new programs in the past three months or so, so I have no clue where this came from.  But that's beside the point.  I figured I would just go through Add/Remove Programs, figure out the culprit, and uninstall it.

That didn't work.

Then I Googled "easylifeapp removal".  No luck.  There were plenty of hits, but nothing that worked for me.

So I decided, the hell with it, I'll just format the hard drive.  I have everything backed up anyhow, so I won't lose anything.  That way, I'll be sure to get rid of this crap once and for all.

Nope.

I spent a good couple hours formatting (or resetting or whatever the hell they call it now) and it still didn't work.  It doesn't even seem like the hard drive was even fomatted.  I mean, yes, my programs and stuff were gone, but when I downloaded Chrome (directly from Google) and ran it.....up came the easylifeapp search page.  And now, my machine runs even slower than it did before I formatted it!

This was my first time doing a clean re-install of Windows 8.  I have no idea if I did something wrong, or what.  All I know is that what I did last night seems to have been a complete waste of time.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 November 2014 - 03:07 PM.
moved from Windows 8 to Am I Infected

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users