Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for recommended anti-virus softwares

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Miker2808

Miker2808

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hello,

I am new in this forum, And maybe i just missed some topic which have any answer for me.

But the question in the title, I'm looking for some 95-99% sure antivirus, i have avast, but i heard it my skip some , i need some guide how to keep my computer safe, my last scans i got 1-5 viruss softwares and always thats happen again each time i scan, all i need is guide, answer if i need more than 1 antivirus as i heard its may help, or i need some one correct antivirus (right now i mostly need antivirus that also find the most of the malwares, even if it can be just false alarm, or an cracked game)

Sorry for my poor grammar,

and thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Please read:Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:
* What is the best antivirus protection?
* What's the best premium security suite in the market currently?
* Recommend a good free antivirus program
* Which antivirus and malware programs should I use together?
* Antivirus Solution?

Here are links to polls about this very subject:
* Poll: Best Antivirus and Firewall
* Poll: Best Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/On-Demand Scanner

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

There isn't a best one, even if there were it would change every month, if not every day. Most antiviruses are 95% to 99% good (as in they catch and stop 95 to 99 percent of threats) it's catching the small remainder which makes the difference among products. You want to get the best main antivirus you can, but alone it's probably not enough.

Free antiviruses you can use are avg and avast, there is also a free product from bitdefender. the you need to give them some further support, have a second or third opinion scanner (like malwarebytes or eset online scanner) installed, both of these are free. These are NOT antiviruses, they don't do realtime protection, they won't conflict with your antivirus so unlike normal antiviruses you can run multiple ones. Something like malwarebytes or eset online scanner lets you scan with a whole different set of definitions, to catahc anything avg or avast has missed. You could install for example your primary realtime antivirus, malwarebytes(free version) and eset online scanner, your primary antivirus does most of the protecting, whilst the other two(which only run on demand) help you catch anything that does get through and help limit damage in those circumstances. You must NOT however run multiple primary antiviruses alongside each other, they will conflict and crash your computer.

If you are having a false positive problem then don't worry, just add the thing which is a falae positive to the "whitelist" in your realtime antivirus, and let it be detected by the second opinion scanners but ignore that particular result in the logs they produce, set the second opinion scanners to "prompt on detection" rather than automatically act if you are concerned they might attack a program you use.

You also will benefit from keeping windows up to date, in recent months there have been some problems with windows updates so don't let it be fully automatic, set it to check for updates but not install until you give it permission and MAKE SURE (set an alarm on your phone, set two maybe, set an alarm in your system tray using the task scheduler, write a reminder on a sheet of paer above your screen) to check manually every tuesday aswell and to install as soon as you have given it a few days for anyone getting crashes due to updates to become apparent. Keep up to date, but do it yourself, don't leave it all in the hands of your machine.

Another important thing for security is not to let browser plugins play automatically, in firefox you can set them all to "ask to activate" in chrome you can set them all to "click to play", internet explorer, i don't know how to do this but you probably shouldn't use that browser anyway. You should also at this stage fully disable or otherwise remove any plugins you don't use, and remove java aswell.

Another line of defence is to run an ad blocker and a script blocker in your browser, if you use firefox you can run noscript and adblockplus, this helps defend againt the modern menace of malvertising. Both of these extensions will mean you have to click a few things when you visit new sites to activate certain scripts and plugins needed for functionality but this increase in bother is more than outweighed by the increase in security.

A final tip, on the rare occasions you need to download new programs (exe files), save them, don't open them there and then. Then find them in your downloads folder and scan them with your antivirus and your second opinion scanner, then open a new tab in your web browser and visit virustotal where you can upload the file and have 50 different scanners have a look at it. Then after all those scanners have looked at it, check things like digital signatures and finally run it. For downloads of other file types, save them to a folder, don't open them there and then. Scan them with your antivirus and secnd opinion scanner but unless there is an exe file involved it's not usually worth sending these to virustotal aswell.

And always backup your data!!!! in multiple places!!!! which can be disconnected from your computer once you have backed up the files!! and which are NOT synced(it's better to manually backup at the end of the day, it takes a few minutes at max)!!

Edited by rp88, 01 December 2014 - 10:28 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

Most antiviruses are 95% to 99% good (as in they catch and stop 95 to 99 percent of threats)...

That's wishful thinking.

On any given day, according to Lastline Labs’ analysis, much of the newly detected malware went undetected by as much as half of the antivirus vendors. Even after 2 months, one third of the antivirus scanners failed to detect many of the malware samples. By averaging the daily detection rates, we are able to plot the pace at which theantrivirus scanners catch up with the malware. The least-detected malware - that is the malware in the 1-percentile “least likely to be detected” category - went undetected by the majority of antivirus scanners for months, and in some cases was never detected at all...We think that “traditional” AV technology is not dead, but needs to be complemented with other approaches.

Antivirus Isn't Dead, It Just Can't Keep Up

...there are between 200,000 and 300,000 new viruses discovered every day...by the time they are detected, they're often out of circulation...Statistics published by Brian Krebs, indicate that antivirus software detects about 25% of the most popular malware currently being emailed to people...

How useful is antivirus software?

Antivirus software is still helpful. It’s an important layer of security. But, now more than ever, you shouldn’t rely only on antivirus software. Traditional antivirus software doesn’t catch many threats....antivirus software now catches only 45% of “cyberattacks”, so this figure includes other types of attacks that aren’t simply malicious software...you can’t rely only on antivirus software to help keep you safe...Antivirus software helps, but it’s not a perfect solution.

Symantec Says “Antivirus Software Is Dead”

...the sheer volume of threats is making it impossible for anti-virus software to keep up. Over 220,000 malicious programs are found every day...about 50 percent to 60 percent of some zero-day threats — which are previously unknown vulnerabilities — can go undetected for at least two to seven days...Does this mean users should get rid of their existing anti-virus tools? Sjouwerman says no. He advises users to keep it as an additional layer of protection. But it has to be supported by other tools.

Is anti-virus software obsolete?

Antivirus software...is not sufficient protection in a connected world. It is designed to remove infections that slow PC performance and neutralise malicious viruses, spam and unsafe downloads. However, antivirus software provides little protection for online activities...While anti-virus is still a necessary tool, on its own it is far from sufficient. Users today need protection as sophisticated as the threats and vulnerabilities they face.

Anti-virus software is just not enough anymore

Anti-virus programs rely on regular updates to definitions, in order to detect new threats. A “brute force” component of today’s attack methodology is to automatically generate tens of thousands of variants of old or new viruses, at a rate which far outpaces the capacity of any anti-virus vendor to keep up...relying on anti-virus technology alone has two flaws:

(1) The system is broadly exposed to all kinds of threats which continue to evolve as technology evolves, new devices emerge and converge, new access methods are used, etc, and

(2) This strategy completely overlooks critical risk minimisation, exposing an outdated defence mechanism to an ever-increasing array of threat vectors which it was never designed for.

Why Antivirus Is Not Enough

...antivirus programs are reactive — they only alert you of something that is already on your computer, once it's discovered.

Antivirus is a good start. But it’s not enough.

You need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

#5 AlmaBallard

AlmaBallard

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:16 AM

You can try http://netizensreviews.com/kaspersky-anti-virus-review/. 

PROS:
Provides optimum protection.
Easy to install.
One of the highest rated by independent test labs.
Doesn’t interfere with your computer programs
Easy-to-tweak settings.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:41 AM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, MRG-Effitas, etc....netizensreviews.com is not one of them.

Independent Anti-virus software Comparisons & Tests

#7 johnpaul29

johnpaul29

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:12 AM

Well I agree with most of the comments saying that Anti-Virus is not the be all, end all solution as it used to be for most users. They're still quite relevant today, only that with 200,000+ new viruses everyday (I saw this elsewhere too), it really isn't realistic to say that any single anti-virus has enough resources to be able to track all of those once they are still freshly released.

I've recently come across this new app called, SecureAPlus (www.secureaplus.com). One of their headline features is that they have more than 10 cloud anti-viruses (I counted 12) working to protect your computer. Since it's in the cloud, they claim that there's no slowdown and it can work with an existing anti-virus software, whereas doing this manually with 2 anti-virus software and installing it locally would have performance issues. And some of their cloud engines are quite reputable too, like AVG, Emsisoft, Bitdefender, and Sophos to name a few. So it should have higher detection rates (in theory at least) at least compared to a single solution.

What I'm really interested in however, is that they have application whitelisting, which is another way to prevent threats from ever doing anything to my computer as it stops any untrusted processes from running without you knowing. According to their site, it's their way of giving better protection. Again, in theory this works, but I can share from my 2 months using it that it does at least give me that impression as apps that try to auto-run without me doing anything are always blocked when they are new. I do end up allowing those most of the time since I know it's harmless, but files being diagnosed by those 12 anti-virus engines when they prompt you whether you want to run it, is a really nice touch.

It's a welcome new solution, and they may still be rough around the edges but I think it's a step in the right direction. For the multiple anti-viruses alone, I'd check it out but the application whitelisting component is what really sold it for me.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:49 AM

Hi there,

To be honest I don't like cloud-based solutions very much, as god knows what things they send to the cloud; if a malware removal messes up the Internet connection then cloud-based solutions are dead meat; and the scan speed is dependent on your Internet connection.

As for the application whitelisting, it causes a lot of alarms (similar to HIPS-based firewalls) so it is very annoying and not recommended for average users who may blacklist legit apps or whitelist malicious apps. Personally I prefer Emsisoft's behavior blocker technology, as it allows you to block unknown malicious apps without too much hassle from legit apps.

And it's not all - both of Emsisoft's main products are both AV and AM. Very versatile. (granted I use EIS after all, but well :P )

Regards,
Alex

Edited by Alexstrasza, 09 February 2015 - 03:49 AM.

#9 johnpaul29

johnpaul29

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:06 AM

Well you do make a good point about application whitelisting blocking and prompting a lot of times. And it seems that it really depends on how companies approach the issue. I personally have no qualms about cloud based solutions as long as it has an offline solution as well. SecureAPlus still works for me as the application whitelisting still functions in blocking untrusted processes. But you are correct that if I am offline, I don't get the 2nd opinion of the cloud engines or even virus total. But it's still good to at least stop an attempted attack on me on its tracks.

The prompting on the other hand really is a matter of preference. I personally prefer having that level of control, while others won't. The prompts on SecureAPlus are not as annoying as some others out there so I guess I'll stick with it for now.

Great feedback by the way, and maybe I'll give Emsisoft's solution a shot on my sister's computer. :P I never really bothered to do so, since I somehow already had Emsisoft AV through SecureAPlus so it might be worth checking the whole solution out. :)

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:32 AM

There is an entire topic devoted to SecureAPlus Freemium here where you can read more about it or ask the developer any questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users