Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Router Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shadow1768

shadow1768

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:16 AM

Am just going to copy paste what I put on the other forum

Ok, heres what happening, my cousin as a router that I sold him a while back (3 months ago about) and it was working perfectly. Ok now is when he is going to install it because he got his PSP fixed and he wants to use it online. So he tries and fails, so I come into the picture. In his house I try everything known to man to try and fix it. The problem is it WILL NOT WHATSOEVER connect to the internet. Period. THe computer shows as its sending packets as well as recieving them. So theres internet but I just quite cant't use it. So I assummed it was his computer (I ran a virus scan and it had over 100 viruses/trojans). I took it here to my house and the same crap is happening. It shows has sending and recieving packets (last I checked it was around 50K each). I tried a manual Firmware upgrade and failed 3 times. Apparently I need to be connected to the internet to do it. SO yea I need help.

Thx for any help, if its in the wrong forum plz move it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:39 PM

Some more info would be most helpful. Make and model of the router and the make and model of the PC and the modem and what ISP.

When you went from direct access to the internet to useing the router did you rerun the network set up wizard and change your gateway assignment?

Alil more info can help us help you.

#3 shadow1768

shadow1768
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

ISP- Road Runner (Cable)
Linksys BEFW11S4
My cousins Computer is an Asus
Mine is A dell laptop (Inspiron 8600) and an older dell on ethernet

And I download the network setup wizard from Linksys site but when I tried running it it would fail. And no I didnt change my gateway assinments ( i dont whats that but I didnt touch anythingcalled like that)

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:47 PM

1. did you call the cable provider to add your router's mac address?
2.if not do so>you should reset your router to factiry defaults then go through the net seytup again. cable ISP is usually mac address authentication, and dhcp for the initial net setup. you shouldnt need the setup program to set up net.
are you able to log into the router?
did you download the latest firmware update to your computer?
the firmware gets updated locally , from your machine, so you have to go to linksys a nd get it, unzip it, then point the router to the local path, (under administration, firmware update)
this is a start, post back if you need any more detailed instruction.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:13 AM

Some info for clarification that may help:
When a computer connects to the internet thru a router, it will then have a primary and a secondary IP address. The router does have an IP address, which is individualized for the actual router, the ISP and the user. This is the gateway (path) from the ISP to the PC. Resetting the router usually can be accomplished by either pressing a reset button or inserting a thin object into a hole on the back of the router and/or unplugging it. If a network connection is already setup on the computer in question, remove it and all others. Unplug the cable from your computer. If your ISP provided you with an installation disk or procedure, use it and follow their instructions for the order in which to plug in, connect, etc. Otherwise, while the computer is off, turn the router on and ensure the appropriate lights are on for Internet service...you must have the internet signal coming into and going out of the router before you can even think of it it getting to the computer. Then plug the cable into your computer. Boot the computer and let it detect the LAN connection. Then setup the network connection per the Network Setup wizard. Make sure you select the right option. If you are trying to connect that single computer to the Internet via that router, select "Connect to the Internet" via a LAN or Broadband connection that is always on. You may have to call the ISP to help you identify the correct proxy configuration settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users