Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron won't boot, BEEPS.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joey777

joey777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 3521 bought 18 months ago. I used it just a few times at first.

Battery is OK. (OS must be Linux Mint or Windows 8, I don't remember), but last time it was working)

Now  I try to use it again but it doesn't boot,The fan starts to run then the laptop shuts down right away (screen stay black), then there is a regular beep (more like "tap") every 2 or 3 seconds approx. Last time after 21 beeps I long pressed the start button to stop it.
As I have another Inspiron 3521 which works, I changed the hard drive.....same problem.
It has been in my car when I moved, maybe it got hit, I don't know.

Could it be the coin-cell battery? motherboard?......
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:49 PM

Does tapping the F12 key at power up bring up the Dell Diagnostics?

#3 joey777

joey777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:04 PM

No, pressing F12 does nothing.

As soon as it starts the fan runs maybe one second and that's it, power off and beeps

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

If you are comfortable doing it, remove and reseat the RAM modules. Does the computer boot. If not and there are two modules installed take one out try one. Move the one from slot to slot and see if the computer boots. If not swap the RAM module with the one you took out and try again in each slot.

#5 joey777

joey777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:48 AM

RAM is good, Tested as you told.  
At first each laptop had just 1x4Go module RAM but as I was using only one laptop I took out the RAM and put it on the other to get 2x4Go RAM
So this one has been with no RAM for some months till I wanted to use it again.
One thing:
At first when I was using the two laptops I spilled a glass of carot juice all over the keyboard (I don't remember which laptop). I shut it down, open it completly (...removing the keyboard ... but not the motherboard), I had a Dell pdf to help me. There was just some juice in there but not a lot.  I remember there was some around the fan zone. After cleaning it off it was running as before.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:18 AM

These beep codes are for an Insperon 15 but I believe they are similar for all Insperons. A single beep code indicates a bad system board or BIOS corruption. You could see if replacing the CMOS battery helps but I believe it may be the system board.

Here is Dell support thread. It states on the 3521 you get the diagnostics by pressing FN + Power at boot.

#7 gameffect

gameffect

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:23 AM

i agree with John, 

you could have a bad MB or Hard drives . 

F2 is bios menu for dell, but I could be wrong.  If you can get to bios menu, I suggest you reset it  to default. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users