So I think my motherboard went bad. I base this on the following
- the system had been working fine for years
- I grounded the green wire on the PSU, and the fans still get power (I assume problem is not PSU)
- I tried to boot with only 1 stick of RAM (tried different slots too)
- when I start the computer, fans/drives spin, but no signal gets to the monitors
- the green light on the MB is on, but no start-up beep is heard
- this is not the first time the MB has given me problems. Sometimes booting up would require the OS cd in the drive (but would then boot normally)
So given that my assumption is correct and I do need a new MB, how do I determine what would fit w/ the rest of the hardware I have? My computer is pretty old, so I know at least the RAM is going to require an upgrade (to DD3).
Here's what I'm working with now (don't snicker, I know this is all dated hardware).
Nzxt Lexa Blackline Gaming Tower Case
ASUS M2N SLI AMD CPU Socket AM2 Motherboard
AMD AthlonT64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU
4 x Corsair DDR2 XMS2 RAM
ATI Radeon video card
MSI K9N4 SLI-F NVIDIA nForce 500-SLI MCP Chipset?
So what criteria do I need to use in buying a new MB? I figure I have to make sure it fits in my case, is compatible w/ the CPU (how do I do this?), and update the RAM. What else?
Thanks ahead of time.
Edited by joey v, 30 November 2014 - 10:27 AM.