Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I canít get my Nvidia Geforce GT 610 to work in my new computer.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kaomoji

kaomoji

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:34 AM

Hello, I wasn’t sure what category this topic belongs in (either Internal Hardware or System Building and Upgrading). Anyway, I recently bought a new graphics card to upgrade my computer but it does not work at all. I’m not sure what the problem is at this point as I have tried multiple things to get it to work with no success. I am currently living in Japan and recently bought a new computer from a Costco in Japan in early September. I bought the graphics card from a local Japanese computer store also.

The Computer is a “mouse computer” (it seems to be a Japanese only computer company).

Computer specs:

Serial: u102351038

Model: LM-C1881B2-W8

Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Intel Celeron G1820 2.70 GHz dual core processor.

1TB Hard Drive.

8GB DDR3 Ram.

300W power supply (I am pretty sure this is what it is even though I can’t read the Japanese characters on it).

Two PCIe Slots.

One PCIe x16 Slot.

The computer has 1 onboard AVG port and 1 onboard DVI port. It came with two 21 inch HD monitors for the purpose of both being used at the same time. (one plugged into each port; 1 for AVG and 1 for DVI).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics Card:

Nvidia Geforce GT 610-LE2GHD/HS

810MHz core clock/1GHz memory clock

PCI-Express2.0(x16)

2GB DDR3(64bit)

1x RGB, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I want to install a new graphics card is so I can hook up my HDTV to my computer to stream Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube.  This computer currently does not have an HDMI port to plug my TV into.  

I have tried installing the driver for the graphics card with the CD that came with it before I physically install the card, but every time I try it gives me the following message:

“NVIDIA Graphics Driver Version 340.52

NVIDIA Installer cannot continue.

This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. “

(I assume I am getting this message because I have to install the graphics card first before I can install the driver for it.)

The computer does not have any problems at all when I use it normally with the 2 monitors plugged into the onboard VGA and DVI connections.  Whenever I install the graphics card, the only thing that happens is the numlock light on my keyboard flashes on and off, but nothing else happens. After I remove the card, and plug the 2 monitors back into their respective VGA and DVI onboard ports, there are no problems.

First I tried installing the graphics card without changing the BIOS settings (which means most all of the settings were set to auto). Then I tried changing the settings in the BIOS. I changed the M.I.T. PCIe Slot Configuration setting from Auto to Gen2, and under the BIOS Features tab, I tried changing the VGA Support setting to Auto to see if that would change anything.

Under the Peripherals tab, the Initial Display Output only lets me choose between IGFX and PCIe 1 Slot as options, so I always leave it on PCIe 1 Slot (which is the default setting).

I have also tried installing the new graphics card with the onboard graphics setting in device manager set to enabled or disabled.

I have also experimented with plugging in each monitor individually, and the same time, with both the onboard ports, and the graphics card’s ports. I have also tried plugging in the HDMI by itself, and with the other cables plugged in at the same time.

It doesn’t matter what I do, every time the result is the same: the only thing that happens is the numlock light on my keyboard flashes on and off when I turn on the computer, and nothing is displayed on any monitor I plug into the computer.

I also went to the computer store where I bought the graphics card from to ask the employees for help. They suggested that the reason that it didn’t work was because I changed the settings for everything in windows 8 to English (which is true; when I first got the computer, the default setting were all in Japanese. Prior to windows 8, windows 7 ultimate addition was the only windows OS where you could change the language of the OS without having to reinstall the OS.) They said that the new graphics card would only work if I changed the setting back to Japanese. Although I have not tried this, it seems like the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard from someone who works with computers. I think they thought the computer I was using was not Japanese (and this might be a problem because Japanese products are designed to run on 100V and not 120V or something else. But this shouldn’t be an issue because both the computer and new graphics card are meant to work in Japan.) Also because their English abilities were very poor, I could not really gain any additional inquiry into the matter.

Any help someone could give me with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

-Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

I can't say for sure but I think this is your problem.

the Initial Display Output only lets me choose between IGFX and PCIeX1

If the BIOS only allows switching between the IGFX or Integrated Graphics and a PCIeX1 slot, you will not get your card to work because it is PCIeX16. I am not sure why your BIOS has limited the Graphics Card to a PCIeX1 slot when there is a PCIeX16 slot on the board.

For example, here is a GeForce 610 card with a PCIex1 connector.

There may be a BIOS update for the computer but that can brick it if the BIOS update goes bad. If possible, I would try to contact the computer maker.

Edit: Is this the computer company?

http://www.mouse-jp.co.jp/

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 November 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#3 kaomoji

kaomoji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:56 AM

Thank you very much for your response.

Edit: Is this the computer company?

http://www.mouse-jp.co.jp/

Yes, this is the computer company my computer comes from.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:19 AM

I would contact them and verify if what I posted is correct. Does the BIOS only recognize a PCIeX1 card. Maybe they have a BIOS update to fix it. Can you return the card to the place you purchased?

#5 kaomoji

kaomoji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:02 AM

Thank you for your advice. I’m busy with work at the moment, so I will contact them when I get a break possibly sometime next week and I’ll post what their response is to the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users