Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

data download usage / charging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gardenboy 333

gardenboy 333

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

I would like to ask a straight forward question which Bt can't or refuses to answer.

I have a youview box (bt supplied) and computer plus ipads.

The data download to the youveiw box is not costed and therefore does not count towards my download limit, my data download to my computer etc is costed and therefore counts towards my download limit.

What I want to know is how Bt can tell what my data download is being used for ie youview (not charged) and Computers (charged) how can they divide the download data.

My devices operate behind my Router (bt), I assume my public ip is my router and the other ip's are private and can't be seen, therefore bt can't see what data is going to each device, only the whole data download to the router.

Would value any information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

I can answer part of your question. The IP number is device specific. Each devise has it's own IP number so they can tell what bandwidth is used by which device. The rest sounds very confusing. I have a very high bandwidth allowance so I don't think much about it.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

Kingdom is partially right... Sure they can see your data usage by tracking total packet usage to your IP.  Regardless of your router.

Your youview is tracked by your isp simply by looking at the datastream for what port youview is looking for to communicate with on your router (regardless of you being behind a router)

Now they can simply subtract Total Usage-youview usage=what you owe.

The above is a very layman's terms of whas going on I know this .. but I don't think the OP would understand much more.

#4 gardenboy 333

gardenboy 333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:17 AM

Kingdom is partially right... Sure they can see your data usage by tracking total packet usage to your IP.  Regardless of your router.

Your youview is tracked by your isp simply by looking at the datastream for what port youview is looking for to communicate with on your router (regardless of you being behind a router)

Now they can simply subtract Total Usage-youview usage=what you owe.

The above is a very layman's terms of whas going on I know this .. but I don't think the OP would understand much more.

you could try me, don't be a layman, i doubt you know much more than i do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users