Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP PRO to WIN7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 donar

donar

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:05 AM

hi i want to instal win7 into my XP PRO desktop, which has 2 hard drives in it , can anyone advise how i ID  which drive has the xp pro o/s in it and if i use killdisk to wipe everything from the p/c, is it then just a matter of inserting the win 7 disc and installing it ? i do not care about losing any data that is in the machine now , thanks donar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:42 AM

Unplug one of the drives to find out if it is the XP one.

You don't need to use killdisk (i don't know what that is), you can just install win7 and format the drive during installation. Make sure you have backed up any data you wanted on the old drive(s) before hand. Only have 1 drive plugged in when you install win7, that way you can be sure it puts the MBR on the correct drive (because it's the only drive). You can format the other drive any time you want (Not sure if you mean you want to keep the XP drive as xp or if you want to wipe both drives)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

before you do anything you should download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make sure you computer is compatible.

Using Killdisk is a good idea.  A format only removes what has been written on the hdd.  A program like Killdisk completely overwrites the entire disk.

If you look in Disk Management it will show you which hdd has the operating system installed on it.  The C: drive is usually the drive letter assigned to the hdd containing the operating system. 

Are the two hdds SATA or IDE types?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 donar

donar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

hi thanks for your replies , i have had a look in " my computer " and the cdrive has something just called " windows " nothing like XP etc it does have other stuff on it as well. 

the d drive has things like eula etc on it . i ran belarc through it and got the 2 drives as , 

ST32008ETC ETC ( hard drive ) 200.05GB -drive0 smart status -healthy 

ST 35004 etc etc ( hard drive 500.11GB drive1 s/n etc etc  rev JC4B smart status -healthy 

nothing about C or D 

the 500gb is the new drive i had installed about 8 months ago and i would assume that the XP is on the small c drive.

i do not care whether the XP stays in the computer or not , if i instal  win7 do i get the choice , during the installation , of which drive i instal it on , 

thanks again for the 2 replies donar

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

You will get the choice yeah, but I personally would only have 1 drive connected when installing windows 7.

#6 donar

donar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:29 AM

thanks for your time , i will disconnect the small one first and see if it opens xp , if not then i will leave it disconnected  it and instal win7 .

i wonder if i use killdisc do i get the choice of which drive i clean up, i will try it very carefully , good luck and thanks again

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:57 AM

I don't know which version of Killdisk you are going to download, but you can find a tutorial for Killdisk here.

Another options would be to use Darik's Boot and Nuke which is free.

Which ever program you choose you will be downloading a ISO image which you will need to burn to a disc to create a bootable disc.  If you are going to be using XP to burn the disc use the instructions below.

Burning a ISO file to a CD or DVD with ImgBurn

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD with a computer with Windows Vista or earlier, please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Before you use the disc you will need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD/CD drive is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

Edited by dc3, 01 December 2014 - 08:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 donar

donar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

thanks for that , another little matter popped up yesterday , i ran windows upgrade advisor through the PC just to make sure it would be ok to run win7 in . 

the result showed no problems as far as the machine is concerned but it did possibly present me with a problem, it only accounted for one drive , the " c drive " ( 164.5 GB free of 186 GB available , so it has the XP on it , made no mention of the " d drive at all ) then it suggested i back up all of this stuff, do a custom instal of the win7 O/S , then re-instal the old XP files that i have backed up.

this is all ok but it said that i need a 32 bit version of win7, my question is , is this because these old XP files that i have backed up and then re-installed will not run in any 64 bit version i win7 i instal in the machine , or to put it another way, if i delete EVERYTHING fron the  ' c drive "  can i then use a 64 bit version of win7 , i do not care about any of the files that are at present in this XP PRO P/C , they can all GO.

or if i instal the win7 O/S on my " d drive "   ( 465 GB free of 465 GB ) could this be a 64 bit version ? even if i left the XP on the " c drive " , just to repeat i am quite happy to wipe everything from the P/C , both drives , more important to me that i use the 64 bit version of win7 .

i have another XP laptop i can use anything i back up from the c drive in the desktop, thanks again for all of the advice, donar

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

You could set the computer up to dual boot, but what for?  You would have to reboot each time you wanted to switch from one operating system to another.

Yes, you can install the 64-bit version.

With the huge difference between XP and Windows 7 there would be a lot of compatibility issues with software.  There is a compatibility mode which compensates for some of this, but not all by any means.

#10 donar

donar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

just to be sure i have this right ,as i have said i do not care about the XP at all, so  i buy the 64 bit version of win7 , wipe all from both of my drives, using either killdisck or the one you mentioned  , instal a 64 bit version of win7  in one of my drives and i am fixed , yes /  no ?? regards donar

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

If you wipe the drive which will not have an operating system it will have to be formatted before you can use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users