Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to internet on laptop, "limited connectivity" error

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 amfrank

amfrank

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:26 PM

Hello, hopefully I am posting this in the right place. Apologies if that not is the case, and thanks in advance for help with this issue.

I woke my laptop up from sleep mode this morning and could not connect to my wireless network. Specifically, the error said: 

"The computer currently has limited connectivity to {network name}."

I rebooted the router and reset the modem, but the same message occurred. After a few more attempts I eventually clicked on 'troubleshoot problems', and Windows Network Diagnostics indicated that "There might be a problem with the driver for the wireless network adapter." I thought perhaps my wireless card failed and tested this by using an external USB wireless adapter (Netis WF2111). However, trying to connect to the network using the USB wireless adapter gave the exact same errors with limited connectivity (which is actually no connectivity). 

I rebooted the PC but this did not change anything, and I also attempted to run in Safe Mode with networking, but the same "limited connectivity" issues persisted. I also connected my laptop to the router with an ethernet cable, but there was no connectivity. After I tried troubleshooting the error was similar as in the case of wireless: "Local area networking is experiencing problems". Also, I verified that someone else's laptop or a smartphone can connect to my wireless network and use the internet without any issues.

My problem in a nutshell is that I can't connect to the internet on my laptop, whether I use the internal wireless card, an external USB adapter, or an ethernet cable. All attempts result in similar issues of wireless/LAN adapters experiencing problems, but the problem does not seem to be the fault of hardware.

Before posting here I thought to try a system restore, but there aren't any available restore points (I have the usage set to 10% or 28.3 GB of space, though). My last Windows Update was on November 19, or about 10 days before my problem here (the only updates since then have been anti-virus definitions). I haven't made any changes to system/settings or installed any programs in the past few weeks.

So, I guess that's where I am right now (borrowing a friend's netbook to post here, check email, etc.). Thank you again for reading, and I really appreciate your assistance!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2014 - 01:13 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:57 AM

Welcome to BC!

Here's a BC tool that has numerous Windows mini-fixes, many of which are for connectivity issues. Give it a try ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/ .

#3 amfrank

amfrank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've downloaded that tool and put it on a USB flash drive. However, I'm was not sure which repair options I should actually select before starting the repair. In safe mode with networking, I selected and these repair tools to be on the safe side:

05 - Repair windows firewall

13 - Repair winsock & DNS cache

15 - Repair proxy settings

Afterward I restarted my system, but unfortunately nothing has changed. Should I try other repair tools as well?

While my issue involves networking since I cannot connect to any networks by any means (internal wireless card, external wireless adapter, ethernet), my feeling is that there could be a file corruption or something similar. I've done a scan with Malwarebytes and it didn't find any malware on my hard drive.I don't know if something is blocking me from accessing internet, if a file or registry is corrupted, or perhaps something else. It seems like such a weird problem to suddenly happen, with no prior signs/warnings of such an issue.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. Hopefully we can figure out what the problem is and how to fix it.

Edited by amfrank, 01 December 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

Try resetting TCP/IP Type CMD at the command prompt > Right click Run as Administrator and type the following

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt   <enter>

Reboot

#5 amfrank

amfrank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

Try resetting TCP/IP Type CMD at the command prompt > Right click Run as Administrator and type the following

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt   <enter>

Reboot

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I did as you advised, but after rebooting still cannot connect ("limited access").

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

You can try the netadapter all-in-one tool here. Run the Advanced Repair first.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 December 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#7 amfrank

amfrank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

I ran the Advanced Repair in the netadapter tool, but after rebooting there's no change.

When this issue first arose a couple days ago, I checked device manager to see if there were any issues/alerts there, but there weren't. I disabled and reenabled all the network adapters, along with rebooting, but this didn't fix the connectivity problem. Checked device manager again now and still no issues or warning symbols.

Basically, every method of attempting to connect to a network has "limited access" or "limited connectivity". The USB wireless adapter, for example, works fine on another person's PC. I'm not sure what might have happened between the time I put the PC to sleep and when I woke it up about 7 hours later. Tests don't reveal a virus or malware, and from what I can tell everything else on my system is running fine without any problems. 

Sorry for the rambling - just thinking out loud. Thanks again for the replies and help.

Edited by amfrank, 01 December 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,213 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

This is probably a long shot but see if changing your DNS servers to OpenDNS works. Also check that you are not using a proxy server.  If those do not work then we can try some additional settings using the utility.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

When you open network and sharing center, where is the yellow triangle?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 amfrank

amfrank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

This is probably a long shot but see if changing your DNS servers to OpenDNS works. Also check that you are not using a proxy server.  If those do not work then we can try some additional settings using the utility.

Using the first link, since I don't have active networks I went into "manage wireless networks", then opened the properties for my home network. Entered the DNS server addresses, but still can't connect to anything. I'm also not using a proxy server.

When you open network and sharing center, where is the yellow triangle?

There's actually no yellow triangle. I attached a screenshot of what's displayed.

Attached Files

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:42 PM

Ok you can't connect to anything. Since you can connect with other devices just fine there is no issue with your network. This is a computer problem. Since it follows you no matter what you try to connect with, wireless(internal and USB) or wired, I'm thinking there is a firewall issue. So you might want to look into that as well, specially if you run one other than Windows.

I'm also not counting out a malware issue. Can you run minitoolbox from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/398507/please-read/ that post on that laptop and sneaker net it over to whatever you're on now? It might shed some light on what's going on. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#12 amfrank

amfrank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

I had previously tried disabling firewall but that didn't do the trick either. :/

Also downloaded minitoolbox from this netbook to a USB, then ran that on my affected PC. I attached the result file.

Attached Files

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:59 PM

Try removing your wireless network profile then manually connect again with your built-in wireless card.

Tekken

#14 amfrank

amfrank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:42 AM

Try removing your wireless network profile then manually connect again with your built-in wireless card.

Thanks for the suggestion - tried this, but it didn't work.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:58 AM

Do you have multiple instances of open or accessible wifi nearby or at home network devices? Speaking only by the posted image. Have you tried reinstalling or updating the drivers by manufacturing support site or probably disabling your security password to none to check the difference?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users