Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can ransomware destroy a hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

In March of this year I helped a friend with a ransomware infection. He wasn't about to pay the ransom so we reinstalled Windows 8 on his Dell computer(he had good backups).  All seemed well for a few months, then suddenly he was unable to access his files,add remove programs feature and other windows programs. I'm wondering if the ransomware was still able to encrypt his files after a set length of time? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

Depends on what was backed up and restored after performing the reinstall. If the malicious file responsible for the ransomware was backeup up...it could start the whole process again.

The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), (*.pdf), dynamic link library (*.dll), autorun (*.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executables inside them as some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by hiding a file extension or by adding double file extensions and/or space(s) in the file's name to hide the real extension as shown here (click Figure 1 to enlarge) so be sure you look closely at the full file name. If you cannot see the file extension, you may need to reconfigure Windows to show file name extensions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

Thanks, that's good advice. I'm in the process of reinstalling Windows 8 again. This time I'll be more careful about what backups get installed.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif