Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start : msconfig.exe regedit.exe .... "No items match your search."

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 StarGator

StarGator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

After a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, when I enter msconfig (or msconfig.exe) or enter regedit (or regedit.exe) ... on the Start menu "Search programs and files" field the "No items match your search." continues to be displayed, and neither executable is ever shown in the empty panel above.

This has never happened after any Windows 7 Pro installation that I can recall, so I am totally mystified as to why it is happening now. ..... Win7 is installed on Drive C, which is on a SSD.

As far as I know, whether Windows Search is enabled does not matter. I have had Windows Search disabled for over a year on the previous Win7 installation because the Event Log constantly reported that the indexing service was disabled, and investigation revealed that its indexing file was repeatedly corrupt and had to be re-built, which evidently required my input to initiate. Eventually, I concluded that it was corrupt because Windows Search has a bug, so I disabled it entirely. PLEASE NOTE that I am not asking for advice about that particular issue.

Now I use Agent Ransack instead, but searching for a program or file has always remained available on the Start menu.

Please advise.

--- StarGator

Have you fallen into a wormhole today?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:02 AM

Is windows search disabled? If so, I would try enabling it and see if it works then.

Otherwise, maybe something on this page will help you:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/search-programs-and-files-on-the-start-menu-doesnt/0685a713-03fa-4f5f-b9f9-cc48b17333bb

#3 StarGator

StarGator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:49 PM

@bludshot:

Is Windows search disabled? .....

Thanks for reading the subject line of my OP.  Now, please read the rest of it. :-)

The link to Microsoft's re-named "Microsoft Answers forum" contains a lot of time-consuming "suggestions" that are not, in fact, answers at all. The majority of the responders evidently believed that the question is about Windows Search. It isn't. It is about the "Search for programs and files" feature of the Start Menu. How can anyone offer any worthwhile "suggestions" if they don't even understand what the problem is? Do they ever read even so much as the entire first sentence of the original post? 

"Some people listen in order to reply. Others listen in order to understand."

Edited by StarGator, 01 December 2014 - 11:25 PM.

--- StarGator

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:42 AM

Have you checked your system variables? It appears as though the search/run (Basically the same) isnt set to System32 OR SysWoW64.

Do you have Indexing installed/enabled through appwiz.cpl/Install Features?

have you checked or configured Inexing Options in control panel?

justa  a few sugestions because it does seem weird that it isnt finding the basic tools.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 02 December 2014 - 12:59 AM.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:51 AM

Oh, I read the whole thing alright, and I knew you would protest when I talked about Windows search. However, in my brief research into the issue, I found that your issue *possibly* has to do with windows search being disabled. Thus, a logical troubleshooting step would be to ensure that windows search is not disabled and then see if the issue is still happening. Your OP does not contain enough information to rule that out as a logical next troubleshooting step. In fact, I couldn't divine from your OP whether windows search is disabled or not, because you seem to talk about 2 different systems (I think?), one that was in use for a long time, and another that is a fresh new install? You also talk about indexing being corrupt and bugged, but, surely that is on your old system, not the new fresh install, where I assume the same issue isn't still happening - I don't know, I can't tell from what you wrote.

You complain that I haven't read your post, yet, the only thing I asked you in my post was if windows search was disabled, and you have replied to me without answering the question. So I think you should apply your quotes to yourself.

If I had a dollar for every time a user (mostly not on this forum, just throughout life and elsewhere) told me that they needed help fixing a problem but they "know" it's not due to XYZ thing, so "don't talk to me about XYZ thing or ask me if it's plugged in" etc, and then it turned out the solution was precisely the thing they said they already did and didn't want to talk about, or tangentially related to it, I would have... I dunno, a couple hundred bucks I guess :)

I don't know if enabling search will fix the problem, I don't even know if you have it disabled currently. I just know that imho I think it's the next step in troubleshooting this. Also, I don't know if anything in that link would be helpful, seemed like there was a chance though, which is why I said "maybe" and tossed it out there.

How can anyone expect to get help if they don't even answer a reasonable troubleshooting question?

Just to save some time, I'll give you my followup replies depending on the answer (which I don't know if you are even going to supply anyway):

If windows search is disabled, enable it and see if it works then.

If you cannot enable it because it's corrupt or whatever, then I don't know what you should do, possibly reinstall windows

If search was already enabled (or it was disabled and you re-enabled it and it still doesn't work), then I have no idea what to do next and I have no good will left to go try to find out

If search was disabled, and you refuse to enable it, then maybe someone else has something to post that could help you

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

Dont get to worked about it bludshot mate, i had a feeling he wont even reply back.

Like you said mate i to have had people who haved worked in IT for 20 years have issues and ring me for help and when i tell them a  solutution (From the details provided) they always say "Nah it cant be that because it has nothing to do with that", its like saying you have rpelication issues have you checked using repadmin? they say no why should i it should just work.

Lots of storys on that front mate.

#7 StarGator

StarGator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:41 AM

Oh, I read the whole thing alright, and I knew you would protest when I talked about Windows search. However, in my brief research into the issue, I found that your issue *possibly* has to do with windows search being disabled. Thus, a logical troubleshooting step would be to ensure that windows search is not disabled and then see if the issue is still happening.  ....

My apologies to bludshot:  upon re-reading my OP again today, I understand why you asked. Although I wish that you had said that you wanted to confirm whether it was disabled on the current Win7 Pro installation. In 20/20 hindsight, I did not offer as much information about the current install as, perhaps, I should have disclosed. I was hoping that someone who has encountered the same problem and found a solution would respond with the fix. It didn't occur to me that anyone would "research" the matter -- I had already spent quite a bit of time and effort doing that myself.

First: what I wanted to do, actually, was to disable Windows search indexing to prevent Windows from "tagging" each and every file stored on the new Solid State Drive (SSD) on which I had installed Win7 Pro afresh. Regardless of what I did, Windows continued to build an index file, although it eventually became very, very small.

What I had forgotten is that indexing can be disabled via Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off.

So, yes, Windows search was disabled. If I did not disable it while attempting to stop Windows from building an index, then perhaps I disabled it in the course of following a "guide" (offered by another website) to configuring Windows for use with a Solid State Drive (SSD), which included using the Control Panel feature above.

And, yes, enabling Windows Search via Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off does restore the "Search programs and files" field to the bottom of the main Start Menu panel, and it has found msconfig.sys and regedit.exe.

Is that "the answer"? So far, so good. In my years of experience with Windows, it has never had any feature that is 100% reliable. It has often been impossible to determine exactly why something broke, even if we have discovered how to fix it.

Ironically, I don't use the Start Menu search feature very often. As I mentioned in my OP, I began using Agent Ransack after I disabled Windows indexing because it was so obviously broken (in the previous installation). I don't know whether indexing still has the same problems, but I am disabling it for a different reason.

If indexing is disabled, though, every time you use Windows search, it will display a yellow "info bar" just to let you know that the search will be faster if indexing is enabled. In my experience, Agent Ransack returns results faster than Windows search returns them without indexing available, and that is why I have used it.

Not that it probably matters to anyone posting to this forum, but I've certainly contributed considerable time and effort, on and off over the span of two decades, assisting other people on other websites and in other contexts. Although, I've usually refrained from aiding people with Windows issues per se. Instead, I've mostly offered advice and help for resolving problems that occur when using various applications with Windows. Since I retired, I don't use most of those apps now and don't know anything about issues in the most recent versions.

For a long time, I was expert in systems security and helped people recover systems from malware. But I became rather burned out doing that, and I don't keep up with it any more. At least I never got to the point of replying with boilerplate, although I can understand why some contributors do that and only that. It is just another way of saying RTFM. ....

Thanks for your time and attention to this issue. TTYSOT

Edited by StarGator, 03 December 2014 - 05:09 AM.

--- StarGator

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:09 AM

You're welcome :hysterical:

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:30 AM

So after all that, did you get it fixed or?

#10 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

Yes Johnny, in the middle of his most recent post he says: "And, yes, enabling Windows Search via Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off does restore the "Search programs and files" field to the bottom of the main Start Menu panel, and it has found msconfig.sys and regedit.exe. "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users