Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Gods Spite Me

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mytowerisrubbish

mytowerisrubbish

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hello All,

Over the past 10 days my tower has decided to poop on my well-being, but I'll start from the beginning.

I return from a 4 day trip, over which my computer was completely shut down, to visit my family up north. Upon rebooting I get BSOD saying I have some hardware failure. So of course step 1 is turn off and attempt rebooting again. Except this time I get nothing. Absolutely nothing. Computer turns on but monitor shows no input no matter what ports/devices I try switching to. 

Assuming there was some sort of short I clean my tower top to bottom, inside and out. My case was literally empty. After carefully reassembling and making sure everything is properly connected and tightened down I close up the tower and say my prayers. But of course nothing. Monitor still shows no input, while my computer sits there running.

After a short rage session I collect myself and get a friend to send me a spare CPU because the only thing I could think that would cause it was some slight discoloration/buildup on my CPU contacts.

Fast forward five days.

Once again disassemble everything, reassemble with the newly acquired CPU. Once again say my prayers and turn the tower on.. to the exact same flippin result.

The only thing I can think of now is piece by piece replacing everything in the tower, which while probably effective is not exactly within my budgetary constraints. I've tried all standard resets, I've scoured forums for advice on how to approach this to no avail.

If anyone has some advice/a good psychiatrist I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

RubbishTower

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:58 AM

My case was literally empty.

Well, there's your problem! :wink:

Can you try another video card, or onboard video if this computer has it?

#3 mytowerisrubbish

mytowerisrubbish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

I tried my roommate's spare video card, plus the one he actually uses.. 

The motherboard is the only thing left I haven't tried switching out. Which seeing how the rest of this fix has gone, will probably be the issue. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

Sometime a bad CMOS battery can cause a BSOD. Have you tried replacing it? I know on a laptop a bad CMOS battery can cause a computer to not boot.

#5 mytowerisrubbish

mytowerisrubbish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

Well thats the thing JohnC, the computer boots just fine. Everything seems to be running fine. Only catch is the monitor shows no input. And I've tried different monitors, different cables, still nada.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

Sorry about that, I didn't catch that the computer turns on. Reading too fast for my own good. :-(  I am assuming that the MB does not have integrated graphics, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 November 2014 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users