Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Blue Screen Caused By HAL.DLL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

Hi folks,

This is a problem I have to have resolved by tomorrow evening. No pressure. LOL

I have a client's Acer laptop with Vista 32-bit on it. I recently spent about 6 hours total removing a ton of malware from it. It was re-directing, ad-popups, the whole 9.. Everything was running great. I returned it to him. Thanksgiving, I see him and he says it won't work for him. Most of the time it BSODs as soon as it gets to the login screen and sits for 5 or 10 seconds. Sometimes, he can log in, but it BSODs. Safe mode runs fine.

I have a ton of dump files. The driver files listed in bottom half of Blue Screen View are many! Most of the dumps are blaming hal.dll+23 or +4023, or +7023, etc. Error is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO.

No clue what to do here. I had run a Malwarebytes, JRT, ESET, and others in order to get this functioning. If this needs to go to the malware forums, so be it. I'm stuck. I don't think this is hardware related. But who knows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:27 PM

I think you need to uninstall some devices in device manager, and then reboot and have windows reinstall the drivers for them. and/or make sure the correct drivers are installed for the motherboard and hardware.

#3 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

I tried all that. Sorry I didn't mention everything I did when I opened the thread. I was in a hurry. lol

Funny thing is.. Acer's list of drivers for this model and OS has some of the OLDER version of drivers. I checked on that site cause I can't even get logged in.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:36 AM

Older than what? The ones from windows update? In my quick search on this issue I found people saying you should use the older official ones, not the ones from windows update - even people trying to figure out how to get windows update to stop applying newer drivers that kept messing them up like this.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

You also posted about this issue in Am I Infected. That post is here.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558099/constant-bsods-after-removing-malware/

Please do not start multiple topics about the same issue. Doing so causes confusion for you, your helpers and can hinder/delay the help process.

Malware Removal Logs and Am I Infected take precedence over other forums. This topic is closed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 November 2014 - 02:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users