Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Quick RAM Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

Helloooo guys! Well I have a B-day coming up, AND Christmas, so my family keeps asking me what I want. I know they don't have much money, but I was looking into upgrading my 4GB of RAM to 8GB! Mainly because I know most newer games are requiring that... too bad I can't get a new Graphics Card as well ;) Anyway,

I run Windows 7 64-bit and I have 4 slots filled in my motherboard:

Two slots have Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 RAM and the other two each have 1GB 240-pin DDR2 RAM. After looking at this I remember expecting to have 6GB of RAM, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way because you need to have the same amount of RAM in each slot of something along those lines. So Windows shows that I have 4GB and not 6 and that's fine. Oddly enough though, I just noticed that CPU-Z shows that I have 6GB of DDR2 RAM..they must just be telling me what's in the slots.

So my main question IS.. in order to get the 8GB I'm aiming for I would need two more Crucial 2GB etc. etc. sticks of RAM... not one stick of 4GB, correct? I'm assuming they would have to be DDR2 as well? How about the Crucial part.. does it have to be THAT brand as well? I'll give you my MB details below in case that is needed for your help of course.

Last thing, I promise :) I've been out of the RAM game for a long time now. Could someone tell me say.. the average price on these sticks of RAM that I need these days? And is newegg.com still pretty much a good place to get them?

Well, unless anyone has more advice for me as far as RAM goes OR looks at my computer stats below and thinks more RAM is pointless as far as helping my games, then I think I about covered it. THANK YOU SO MUCH for anyone's responses! This site is the best of it's kind and I know it!

Edit: I forgot to mention that on CPU-Z under max bandwidth it says PC2-6400 (400MHz) So would that have to match what I already have? On NewEgg I am seeing packs of 2x 2GB DDR2 sticks as low as $40 and as high as $200!!! CONFUSING ME :\ I'm assuming anything more than PC2-6400 is pointless for me?

Colin

MotherBoard:

MSI

Model: MS-7374

Chipset: NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI SPP

CPU:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0 Ghz

Socket AM2+

Graphics:

AMD Radeon HD 6850

LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE, THANKS AGAIN ;)

Edited by Slave2Society7, 29 November 2014 - 09:21 PM.

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:14 AM

My guess is that you do not have 64bit Windows, that you actually have 32bit. That would explain why it only sees 4gb. If so, then buying more ram is pointless because 32 bit windows won't see(use) more than 4 gigs of ram.

If you do have 64 bit windows, then something weird is going on, because you totally *should* see 6 gigs of ram:  2+2 + 1+1 should work just fine; there is no requirement for them to all be the same size to work properly.

I think the motherboard model is actually K9N2 SLI?  The maximum ram chip size is likely 2 gigs, so, don't buy a 4 gig chip. If you filter down newegg to only the ram you could get (2x2gb ddr2) they pretty much all cost 30 to 40 dollars. I would get 2x2gb Crucial to somewhat match what you have (if you have 64bit windows that is). It's not important to match it exactly.

Yes, anything more than pc2-6400 is pointless (the motherboard does support 1 step up from that, but I believe your existing ram is slower and it will all run as slow as the slowest ram in there). Plus sometimes I find that the fastest ram a motherboard says it supports it doesn't actually support without doing special stuff.

If you have 64 bit windows, then I think this is a nice, inexpensive upgrade that is totally worth it. It is not going to be a huge boost to video game performance though, just to keep your expectations in check.

#3 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

Thanks bludshot! That's exactly the answer I was looking for. :)

So when I see people saying that having different amounts of RAM in their computer they all go to the lowest one.. they must be talking about the SPEED of the RAM not the actual AMOUNT of RAM, correct?

Weird thing is, I DO have 64 bit Windows 7... but when I right click on computer it shows 4 gig... Woah wait a min... I just double checked it does shows 6 gig now! Since I took em all out and put them back in it must have fixed it! So for a few years now, I've been wasting 2 gigs of RAM.. wow!

Ok so this brings me to a new simple question.. would it STILL be worth the upgrade to 8 gigs by getting 2x2gb to replace the 2x1gb I have? The only reason I am aiming for 8 is because most newer games seem to be adding that to their min. requirements. Thanks again for your response and help! :)

Sorry, just gotta toss in another quick question here. I'm looking at newegg and I see the 2x2gb of Crucial is $54 if you get the cheapest of the 3 they show, but there are other brands (Like the one that is a Blue A logo) with good reviews that go for about $40. So HOW crucial is it that I get the "Crucial" brand? lol

Colin

Edited by Slave2Society7, 30 November 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

I would say it is not crucial. Also, I tunnel visioned on the 4 vs 8 gigs thing a bit, and my comments about it being totally worth it are regarding going from 4 to 8. From 6 to 8 though... it can't hurt but it probably won't be a very noticeable improvement, sorry about that. Not a waste either though, I mean more ram is more ram :)

#5 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:14 PM

wow thank you:) Now I totally don't know if I should ask for the more ram lol. You're right I probably wouldn't notice it PLUS I've played games that say you need 8gigs of ram and it's worked with lower settings with 4gigs just fine. I just can't think of anything else to ask for.. lol. Anyway, thanks for all your help bud, I appreciate it a lot!

Colin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users