Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My best guess is I'm experiencing a Memory Leak, could use help. (Win7)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PlusOnePointFive

PlusOnePointFive

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium

8 GB of RAM (with 7.89 usable)

Okay, here's a general rundown of the problem. About three days ago my computer was acting strangely slow, incredibly slow. I decided to restart as I probably leave my computer on for longer than I should, it booted up fine and ran for a while although occasionally when I was talking in Skype, my soundcard would crash requiring another restart (this happened twice). I thought the problem might have to do with memory or programs etc, so I monitored the Task Manager for a time, with my usual programs open I noticed a steady 1% use increase on RAM about every 5-8 minutes. The RAM use would slowly climb until it hit near 100 and my computer would crash (no bsod, just black screens while the system would completely reboot). The strange thing lies in the fact that no programs looked out of place nor had above amounts of use of memory.

What I've tried to help solve the problem:

• Ran Malwarebytes to see if viruses may have been the problem (clean results)
  • Ran a memory diagnostic to see if there was anything there (no results)
  • Tried to manually open one program at a time while monitoring Task Manager to see which caused the incline, none showed promising results in which I thought the problem had solved itself. But with everything up and running the problem began again not too long after, causing me to be confused about which program may have caused this if any.

Programs I use that may be involved:

• Google Chrome: Version 39.0.2171.71 m
  • Steam: Steam API v017
  • Spotify: Version 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

Willing to update with information and respond to any assistance, anything is in my reach at this point. Thank you ahead of time

EDIT: svchost.exe always seems suspicious

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

Did you show processes from all users? I'm guessing if you did then you would see the process which has the memory leak.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:04 PM

What you are experiencing does sound like a memory leak.  But bludshot is not entirely correct in assuming there is a process which is causing this.  A memory leak occurs when memory is allocated by a application starting and does not release the memory when the application no longer needs it.  This memory will continue to grow and will eventually slow the computer to a crawl.  The only way to release this memory is to restart the computer.

Unfortunately I have not found a simple means of preventing this from happening. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

Well, I mean, you *may* see the process that is doing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users