Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing a Contact on Gmail Chat (No gmail e-mail address)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Roketto

Roketto

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

I've tried searching everywhere, & I cannot find a solution to this problem.  I have a contact who shows up in my Chat list on the left of my Gmail, who I would like to remove.  He has two e-mail addresses, one gmail, the other is @una.edu (his college address).  I've tried deleting him entirely, but the latter address still shows up in my Gmail Chat list, to my frustration.  He never uses that address anymore, so I desperately want to unclutter the list by taking it off.  There is no option to block, remove, or set it to "never show", so I'm coming here for help.  Hope you all can help me out! :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

From the Web: How to remove a contact from chat list? - Google Product Forums

1. From your inbox, click the bold link on the left:
"Contacts".

A list pops up with all your groups:
"Friends, Family, Coworkers, Gremlin Trainers, Most Contacted, All Contacts... etc",

2. Select All Contacts.

A list pops up with all your Contacts. You can even search, if thats how deep you roll, but that probably means you have too many contacts and why not just leave that one?

3. Select that person you don't really hate per se, but just don't want to see in your chat status list...

A window pops up with various options for where to move/what to do with that contact, including: "Show in chat list"

4. Set that contact to: Auto, Always, Never, or Block.

Edited by buddy215, 29 November 2014 - 05:52 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Roketto

Roketto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:51 PM

I already have done that.  No dice, the contact STILL shows up in the sidebar for Chat.  I've removed every trace of this person's contact info, & their college e-mail address is still there.  What's the next plan of attack?

#4 ace2581

ace2581

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:02 AM

Hi,

I was struggling with this too.  If I understand you correctly, try this remedy:

1) Login to gmail.

2) Select contacts in the upper left corner.

3) When the contacts list pops up, click the "more" drop down, and select "leave the contacts preview".

4) All of the contacts that weren't showing in your regular contacts list will be under "Other Contacts".

You should be able to check the boxes from there for the ones you don't want and then delete them under the "more" drop down at the top.

I hope this helps!  B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users