Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mouse clicks by itself.. virus?? help please

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Greatdekutree

Greatdekutree

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

my mouse randomly clicks by itself.. when i am scrolling by things it clicks on them and my keyboard will press random buttons too. my start menu randomly pops up and when im on a website my mouse will randomly press the back button. i ran malwarebytes and no luck..i think its a virus someone please help me. if you need more information i can give it to you just ask.

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2014 - 03:28 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

Try a different mouse yet?  Everything that goes wrong with a system or a component...is not necessarily an indication/effect of malware.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#3 Greatdekutree

Greatdekutree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

yes 

#4 StarGator

StarGator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:23 PM

my mouse randomly clicks by itself.. when i am scrolling by things it clicks on them and my keyboard will press random buttons too. my start menu randomly pops up and when im on a website my mouse will randomly press the back button. i ran malwarebytes and no luck.. ....

Which keyboard and mouse (make & model, size, etc.) are you using?

Is it possible to use your keyboard and/or mouse to record a "macro" that will be executed if you assign it to a specific key-press, or to a mouse-button click?  You can do that with some keyboards and mice as a convenient way to send input to a program such as a game. You might be unintentionally activating such a macro.

Do you know whether a program that you use has a feature to record a "keystroke macro" that will be "played back" when you press a key or select a menu icon, etc.?  If such a program is running while you are doing the things you describe, then it could be interfering.

There are some programs that have a feature which records the keystrokes that the user makes and stores them in a "log". That is legal when it is something that you want to use and/or an employer requires you to accept. 

"Remote Desktop" software can enable someone to use their mouse and keyboard for input to the operating system or to a program that is running on another computer to which their computer is connected. If you have allowed anyone to use remote-control software to access your machine before the events that you describe began happening, then there could be something that is still running on your computer that you need to halt. Of course, malware can do that, too, without your prior knowledge and consent.

Also, malware sometimes installs a "keystroke logger" on your computer to capture passwords, credit-card numbers and other important data. The malware might have a bug which causes the events you describe to occur "at random". However, I don't know of any specific malware that records mouse cursor movement or buttons that are pressed, and sends them to a data collection server via the Internet.

Many anti-malware scanners can detect a "keystroke logger" -- some are designed specifically to examine the computer to see whether they can detect one. Some of them have such a feature that is disabled by default, and you must enable it to detect keystroke loggers. However, many other anti-malware scanners either cannot detect a keystroke logger or often fail to detect one that is present.

Edited by StarGator, 29 November 2014 - 10:25 PM.

--- StarGator

Have you fallen into a wormhole today?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

Laptop or desktop?

#6 Greatdekutree

Greatdekutree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:46 AM

its a desktop and its not a macro.. its happening while im not touching the keyboard or mouse at all.. i have a logitech g 500s mouse and a razer anaga keyboard

#7 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:06 AM

Try zemana antilogger and hitman pro.If it is a keylogger,they might help.

#8 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:28 AM

Try zemana antilogger and hitman pro.If it is a keylogger,they might help.

Zemana and HMP are not the most reliable security products. If he thinks he's infected, some staff should confirm it and remove malware from his PC.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:21 AM

A keylogger just logs keystrokes. If it's a wifi mouse/keyboard combo it could be interference. However, it's possible a hacker has reverse shell. A keyboard/mouse moving on it's own is a classic symptom.

#10 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:34 AM

A keylogger just logs keystrokes. If it's a wifi mouse/keyboard combo it could be interference. However, it's possible a hacker has reverse shell. A keyboard/mouse moving on it's own is a classic symptom.

I agree, RAT is also very possible.

#11 Greatdekutree

Greatdekutree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

it seems to have stopped on its own but i still fear that someone might be remote desktopping my pc.. or stealing my personal info. i have remote desktopping turned off and there hasnt been any illegal activity on my credit cards or anything... should i do a full restore?

#12 Greatdekutree

Greatdekutree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

The mouse isnt necessarily moving on its own, just clicking when i go by things.The keyboard has typed in random things such as ip adresses or just one letter repeated over and over, and it has randomly opened the start menu a couple times... both my mouse and keyboard are wired.

#13 beachstreet

beachstreet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:45 PM

This can happen if the computer is infected with a virus.

The virus is called the FORM virus. There are different variations of this FORM virus.

The virus is a Boot Partition infector. (Not a MBR infector).

Depending on the most common variants, Form will cause the keyboard to click on a date of either the 18th or the 24th.

However other variants exist that can cause problems all the time or only in May for example.

The virus can be cleaned on a DOS system by using a clean boot diskette with the Sys file on it, and using the SYS  command at a DOS command prompt..

You need to also re-Format all potentially infected floppies or other media used by this computer after cleaning up.

Not sure about how to clean on other systems.

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:08 PM

Could be just dirt or a hair caught in the lens of the mouse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users