Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Crashing, Most Likely Internal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GoldenWontong

GoldenWontong

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

Hello Everyone,

Recently my computer has been crashing, it tends to happen most whenever I use my computer for its intended use, gaming. I first found the problem when playing Battlefield 4 after I installed a new Western Digital Hard Drive. Ever since I got the hard drive installed, it has been making weird noises. Not the noises that are on the WD website which portray a failing hard drive. But rather, noises that I believe are just a fluke in the product. The noises it makes are not heads colliding but sounds like an older hard drive that is putting a lot of stress into trying to read the disk. Most of the time it is silent, but alot of the time it is making these noises. I ignored these noises because I have heard them coming from computers before so I dont believe it to be a problem. At first I thought the reason why it crashed was because of heat, but that doesent make sense because I checked diagnostics tools and it seemed to be running at good temperatures. Then I opened up my Computer Case and left it running with a big fan blowing into it, not sure if this would help or not but it didnt. I have a good airflow within my case so I really hope this is not the problem. Also I have put my computer through many graphics card tests and it doesent crash, even under a stress test. I also have updated my drivers to the latest versions.

The Crash

If you would like me to explain what the actual crash of my computer looks like, here it is. Pretty much my hard drive starts to make the weird noise that it makes. I believe it to just be a sound that the hard drive makes when it works harder. After maybe one or two seconds of the noise blasting, the screen goes black. Then my main screen displays a random color covering the entire screen and then my sound starts to bug out. There is no way for me to get out of this, all of my inputs (mouse, keyboard etc.) stop working and the only way to start up again is if I do a hard reboot. 

Please help me fix this problem! It always crashes my computer in the middle of really important things that I am doing and it is starting to become very frustrating.

Specs

DxDiag:

------------------
System Information
------------------
   Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140706-1506)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
       System Model: CM6870
          Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
             Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16340MB RAM
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 770

Thanks,

GoldenWontong

PS: If this post is in the wrong section, please tell me! I am new to forums and dont know any better.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PlusOnePointFive

PlusOnePointFive

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

Can you run a Windows Memory Diagnostic? Should be built into your computer, running that will require a reset but it will tell you about problems with memory. That would be a good place to start if you can post the results here

#3 GoldenWontong

GoldenWontong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

Can you run a Windows Memory Diagnostic? Should be built into your computer, running that will require a reset but it will tell you about problems with memory. That would be a good place to start if you can post the results here

It told me that no problems occured, it was 100% fine. Should I find the exact logs? If so how?

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:39 AM

With 16 gigs of ram I don't think your hard drive should be doing much at all while you play BF4. It should only do a bunch when it is loading a new map. This suggests you have some kind of malware, or, that you are running virus scans or something like that. Something is thrashing the drive and with 16 gigs ram I don't think that thing is BF4. Still I would check the health of the drive with hdtune or gsmartcontrol or something.

Does the hard drive work just as hard when you are not in BF4? Have you manually changed any virtual memory settings in windows?

The problem sounds like an overheating video card. Run a monitoring software while you are playing the game and see what the temperatures are at the time you're running the game.

After you go through all the other things like these, and that other people come up with, make sure you have the latest video card drivers, and then if it gets to this point, flash your bios to the latest version (but do not do that yet).

#5 GoldenWontong

GoldenWontong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:58 AM

With 16 gigs of ram I don't think your hard drive should be doing much at all while you play BF4. It should only do a bunch when it is loading a new map. This suggests you have some kind of malware, or, that you are running virus scans or something like that. Something is thrashing the drive and with 16 gigs ram I don't think that thing is BF4. Still I would check the health of the drive with hdtune or gsmartcontrol or something.

Does the hard drive work just as hard when you are not in BF4? Have you manually changed any virtual memory settings in windows?

The problem sounds like an overheating video card. Run a monitoring software while you are playing the game and see what the temperatures are at the time you're running the game.

After you go through all the other things like these, and that other people come up with, make sure you have the latest video card drivers, and then if it gets to this point, flash your bios to the latest version (but do not do that yet).

Thanks for the great response,

I tried to remove viruses on my computer and I found a few, I deleted them all and as well ran many scans on antivirus, my computer is clean of viruses.

Also it doesent just happen on BF4, I was just using it as an example because this is where it started to happen.

I played state of decay with MSI afterburner open and my GTX 770 stayed at temperature range of 65-70 degrees celsius. Is this too much? or is this fine? I thought it was too much so I turned down the core clock in afterburner and it didnt seem to make a difference.

UPDATE: Ok so last night as I was on the internet it crashed. Due to how random and sporadic these crashes are, I think that it has to be heat. Any good suggestions on how to deal with heat?

Thanks,

GoldenWontong

Edited by GoldenWontong, 30 November 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

70 degrees should be fine. If you were watching videos on the internet and it froze with the sound skipping, I still think this points towards video card issues such as driver, bios support etc. But I'm not sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users