Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access D:\ from command prompt

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 benjermin96

benjermin96

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS. 

Windows 98 would not boot in normal mode, but it would in safe mode. In safe mode I could not access the cd drive, but when normal mode DID work the other day, I could. 

When trying to boot in normal mode, I got a message saying there was not enough extended memory to boot.

I booted in command prompt and formatted the entire hard drive, erasing windows 98. 

I have a windows 98 boot disc (ISO) which I burned to a CD-RW. Obviously, the computer isnt recognizing the disc. 

I try to access drive D: by typing it, and it says invalid drive specification. 

Also, fdisk, as well as various other commands, arent recognized as commands any more. 

I may purhcase a swappable floppy drive to replace the CD rom drive, but I dont want to waste money if the drive is not the problem. 

All I want to do with this antique laptop is play old windows and DOS games. :/

What can I do now?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

If this is an iso of the Windows 98 install disk, it cannot boot. You said it was a bootable iso. Was this custom made?

If the computer has a floppy drive, you can create the Windows 98 startup disk, boot that which includes the CD rom drivers in order to recognize the drive.

You can also download a CD iso image of the startup disk here. Don't select the one labeled noram. Burn and boot the iso file. After it boots up, take out the CD and replace with the Windows 98 install disk. I can't remember what the drive letter is  for the CD rom drive. It may be D: Then at D:\ do a DIR command and you should see setup.exe. Type setup at the prompt. Windows should start the install.

#3 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

If this is an iso of the Windows 98 install disk, it cannot boot. You said it was a bootable iso. Was this custom made?

If the computer has a floppy drive, you can create the Windows 98 startup disk, boot that which includes the CD rom drivers in order to recognize the drive.

You can also download a CD iso image of the startup disk here. Don't select the one labeled noram. Burn and boot the iso file. After it boots up, take out the CD and replace with the Windows 98 install disk. I can't remember what the drive letter is  for the CD rom drive. It may be D: Then at D:\ do a DIR command and you should see setup.exe. Type setup at the prompt. Windows should start the install.

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, the ISO that I burned to the disc was downloaded from the website you linked me. That's what I've been trying to boot. But it seems like the computer doesnt even recognize the CD drive. It has no floppy drive, but I've just ordered an external floppy drive off amazon. I'm not sure if this will resolve the issue or not. Still, I would like to know how to make it find drive D:...

I'm not very good with CMD :/

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

Can the computer boot from a USB flash drive?  Older ones usually cannot. If it does, you can try booting the iso file using Rufus. Then if the CD is detected, you can install Windows 98.

Here is a guide on installing Windows 98 from USB but it gets pretty involved.

Edit: if the external floppy is a USB, then I don't know if it will work as the startup disk iso does not have USB drivers. I played around with DOS drivers on a bootable disk for USB but that was a long time ago.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 November 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#5 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

Can the computer boot from a USB flash drive?  Older ones usually cannot. If it does, you can try booting the iso file using Rufus. Then if the CD is detected, you can install Windows 98.

Here is a guide on installing Windows 98 from USB but it gets pretty involved.

Edit: if the external floppy is a USB, then I don't know if it will work as the startup disk iso does not have USB drivers. I played around with DOS drivers on a bootable disk for USB but that was a long time ago.

The computer has no USB port. But it does have a special external floppy drive port. I had to order an external floppy drive made by toshiba especially for this type of computer. 

I pushed ESC while turning on to load the SYSTEM SETUP screen.

Under Boot Priority, I only have the options FDD to HDD or HDD to FDD. No option for CD drive boot.

Is there anything else I can do? 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

Okay, then that floppy should work. You can create a bootable floppy disk from the img file I linked to using RAWwrite but you need another computer with a floppy drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 November 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#7 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

Okay, then that floppy should work. You can create a bootable floppy disk from the img file I linked to using RAWwrite but you need another computer with a floppy drive.

Ok, great. I have a windows 7 computer with a USB floppy drive. Windows 7 should work, right? I mean, do I need another windows 98 computer to create the boot disk? If so, I'm out of luck. 

Also, no command prompt commands are working. sysedit, fdisk, etc. They all return bad command or file name. DIR shows theres only 1 file on drive C:, COMMAND.COM

Is this just because windows has been uninstalled? Will config.sys and the such be restored when windows 98 is reinstalled?

Thank you very much for your help and time!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:17 PM

No, if you have a USB floppy drive and Windows 7 it should work. RAWwrite shows it only works for up to XP but I beleive it works on Windows 7. If RAWwrite does does detect your USB floppy drive work, there is a way to do it in linux but it is a little more involved. You would need to create a LIVECD of PartedMagic or Puppy. See if RAWwrite works first though.

Edit: When you reinstall Windows 98, it will create an Autoexec.bat and Config.sys file if I remember correctly, they both will be empty or have minimal commands. You will have to edit those with the required commands.

Edit Edit: With only Command.com on C:\, you will not have any commands like fdisk. Those will be on the startup floppy disk you will create.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 November 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#9 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

Thanks a lot! 

I'll probably have a few more questions once the floppy drive arrives and I get down to business. 

I didn't know I would have to manually edit autoexec.bat and config.sys. Is that very difficult, and would it be much different from one computer to the next?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

It's not too difficult to edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. There are a lot of examples on the internet. Sometimes the games will even add there own setting to the files when installed if I remember correctly. You may have a little issue with the settings for the Sound Card.

Just for your info, I have played old DOS games on XP using an emulator called Dfend Reloaded. It is a GUI front end for DOSbox, a vitrual dos environment. It has a bit of a learning curve but I was able to play an old DOS game called Starflight that was designed to be played using EGA graphics. I was able to get the sound effects for the game working too.

#11 sludgefactory

sludgefactory

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:13 AM

Did you burn the CD/DVD with that SAME drive you are trying to boot?

2 thoughts.

1.) The DVD/CD drive is bad as it is not being recognized by BIOS.

2.) The Windows 98 CD is NOT bootable.

Edited by sludgefactory, 08 December 2014 - 11:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users