Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mdc_on_ca

mdc_on_ca

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556419/virtual-memory-is-low/ - Hamluis.

I am a computer technician in Toronto Canada. I support over 100 computers from different customers. Most of them are Windows XP. For just over a month now I am getting random computers popping up with this message for no reason. When I run "process explorer" or taskmanager on these computers, they are usually over 2GB of memory used in "Total Commit Charge" with no process claiming the virtual memory. Almost all the XP computers have the same software, XP-home or Pro, AVG 2015, google chrome #37 or 38. My home computer did it to me the other day also.

I have been trying to figure this one out for a month. Rebooting the computers brings the memory back to about 400mb.

Any suggestions? I cannot find much on this subject on the internet but I found this post. (by the way, the computers ALL have "let windows manage my virtual memory" set. 

I have not seen this error message popping up since the computers all had 512mb of memory 10 years ago.

If I figure out why this is happening I will post more information. Do you want me to run your utilities on one of the workstations that this is happening regularly on?

Thanks

mdc_on_ca

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2014 - 11:05 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

Try uninstalling chrome and see if it still does it

#3 mdc_on_ca

mdc_on_ca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:19 AM

Update: It is definitely a memory leak in AVG 2014 and more so in AVG 2015.

According to the internet it seems to be a problem with the watchdog program avgwdsvc

(It seems that many people are now having the same problem)

On the computer that I was testing, that had noting installed on it:

Every 3 days the memory usage would go up over 3 GB without being used.

I uninstalled AVG free 2015 and the memory stayed for 2 weeks at 300 MB

I re-installed AVG free 2015 and the memory leak started again.

On one of my XP home servers this morning it was at 2.5 GB. I uninstalled AVG, now, 12 hours later it is holding at 335 MB.

Before I left work today, an XP workstation was showing a firewall error, it was using 6.5 GB memory.

Other computers at work have to be rebooted 1-2 x per day. 

My plan is to remove AVG on all the workstations and switch to Avast or Panda.

Thank you for helping me out with this problem, it has been driving me crazy for months.

Mike

Edited by mdc_on_ca, 31 December 2014 - 04:20 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

Glad to hear you resolved the issue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 mdc_on_ca

mdc_on_ca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:47 AM

I still am having the XP-AVG issue, I keep an eye on one workstation to see if AVG updates fix the problem... Not yet.

However, I am building 5 Gigabyte Brix I3-4010 computers for a client with Windows 7 pro and am having an issue with a microsoft update that could also be the cause of the AVG memory leak that is still going only on SOME of my computers.

It seems that everytime I install microsoft update KB3064209, the computers require a reboot, and they crash on restart.

The computers revert all the updates back to a previous system restore state which takes a long time.

I gradually installed the updates and determined that it is 3064209 that crashes every time.

Researched that mod and it is a microcode update from INTEL being released from Microsoft and installs on all computers since P4's including AMD processors (Seriously??)  Many people have also had issues with this update.

More research says that Intel stated that this update fixes a memory "TLB-Translation Lookaside Buffers" issue that can cause a memory leak and eventually computer crashes.

My Theory is that the Intel microcode on SOME of the computers that I work with are experiencing this TLB problem and it only shows up when AVG is accessing the Non-Paged memory.

I will be making a list of Computer/CPU/Microcode versions to confirm if this was the original cause. It will take some time.

I will post the results here.

#6 mdc_on_ca

mdc_on_ca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:57 AM

Final Solution:

The power supply on that computer was failing and whenever AVG tried to use more memory, it would lose track of it from low voltage.

The power supply blew out on that workstation and I reinstalled AVG after replacing it and no longer had any problems.

About 2 months ago, I had to update all the XP computers to 7 Pro. The workstation is running perfectly.

That was a first, probably a leaky capacitor in the power supply. It was running way hotter than the new one and was probably at 100% trying to keep the computer running.

Hope this helps people in the future with weird memory hole crashes, try swapping out the power supply.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for posting the solution, it is always useful to know what fixed a problem. All too many people never say.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users