Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Se.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 haba

haba

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:38 AM

Hi. I'm one of the Windows 98 SE "dinosaurs" which may not be welcomed on a forum which excludes my OS from the title of what might otherwise be the correct location for my posting. Should I withdraw gracefully or may I ask for help with a Command Prompt problem, please. ? I have already studied your excellent Tutorial. Regards, Haba. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:25 AM

All are welcome. Please post a topic so that we may help you. And by the way, on behalf of the Bleeping Computer's community Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:37 AM

By implication, 98 SE is included in the Windows 98 category, so you not only have posted in the correct place, but should in no sense feel excluded from this great user community. Please continue and ask your question.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 haba

haba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:27 AM

All are welcome. Please post a topic so that we may help you. And by the way, on behalf of the Bleeping Computer's community Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Thanks to acklan for your welcome and to John for your friendly response. This is my problem. I have been trying to do a Command Prompt exercise and coming to a halt at a particular response. The command is "copy c:\index.dat c:\windows\tempor~1\content. ie5" and the response is "overwrite c:\windows\tempo (Yes/No/All)?". I've been told that to answer "Yes", you should type a lower case "y" but the response I get is "Bad command or file name" and I'm stuck. !! Can you tell me if I'm going wrong somewhere or how to get over this problem,please. ? Regards, Haba. :thumbsup:

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

Hi haba.
Don't use the tilde (~) in the path, spell it out completely.
c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5\index.dat
If you look at the response to your command (overwrite c:\windows\tempo ) you can see that it's looking for a directory that doesn't exist. :thumbsup:

#6 haba

haba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:22 AM

Don't use the tilde (~) in the path, spell it out completely.
c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5\index.dat
If you look at the response to your command (overwrite c:\windows\tempo ) you can see that it's looking for a directory that doesn't exist. :thumbsup:

Thanks HitSquad. I tried your suggested command a number of times but always got the response "Too many parameters" or "Bad command or file name". The command I quoted in my posting always gets me to the "Overwrite --- ?" question but I'm stuck there, because I can't find a way to answer it. !! Have you any suggestions,please.? I suppose it should be obvious but it ain't to me. !! Regards, Haba. :flowers:

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:42 AM

sorry haba, my bad. Leave the index.dat off the end of the command.
Try c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5 instead.
I'm a little rustier then I thought.

#8 haba

haba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:13 AM

sorry haba, my bad. Leave the index.dat off the end of the command.
Try c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5 instead.
I'm a little rustier then I thought.

Thanks agaiin HitSquad. Tried the above several times but got response "Too many parameters - Internet". This is the response I always get when I've typed in T.I.F.in full instead of "tempor~1", which I understand is MS "shorthand" !! I've fiddled about by adding or omitting or altering the order of the resourses but the only sequence that gets me to the "Overwrite --- ?" question is as follows. 1) echo index> c:\index.dat 2) dir c:\index.dat 3) copy c:\index.dat c:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5 and I grind to a halt at the "Overwrite --- ?" response !! One reference I saw said to answer Yes, click on Yes and another said to type in a lower case y but I can't get either to work. I know what you mean about being rusty. I was 82 in April and would you believe that I'm expected to remember things I knew when I was 81. !! Any further guidance would be appreciated. Regards, Haba. Still :thumbsup:

#9 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:33 PM

Hay there haba
Am I correct in thinking you want to "nuke" this file?
if so you may want to try this:
http://www.imilly.com/winclean.htm
works for me. :thumbsup: (and it's free :flowers: )

She explains it pretty well there on site.
HTH

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#10 Trev Lantin

Trev Lantin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:50 AM

Hi there haba! Pls. use double quotation marks to carry out the command:

So the syntax would be:

copy c:\index.dat "c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5"

just affix the "/y" (w/o the quotes) at the end to automatically overwrite existing file.

hope this helps...

#11 haba

haba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:31 PM

Hay there haba
Am I correct in thinking you want to "nuke" this file?

Thanks,no one. I have an old program (Spider) which deletes index.dat files and CCleaner which includes deleting them in it's functions. I have heard that it is possible to block them from ever getting onto your PC and that is what I am trying do . I've had a look at WinClean but I think it will only delete the files, which I can do already. Regards, Haba.

#12 haba

haba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

Hi there haba! Pls. use double quotation marks to carry out the command:

So the syntax would be:

1) copy c:\index.dat "c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5"

2) just affix the "/y" (w/o the quotes) at the end to automatically overwrite existing file.

hope this helps...

Thanks Trev. 1) I tried your suggestion but got the response "Too many parameters-- Internet". I always get this response when I type the TIF in full and have found that you have to use some MS "shorthand", which is "tempo~1" 2) This is my main problem, because all I can type-in when I'm trying to reply to the question which comes up-- " Overwrite c:\windows\tempo~1(Yes/No/All) ?"-- are upper and lower case Y/y,N/n and A/a . All my other keys are dead It's a real mystery to me.!!

Regards, Haba. :thumbsup:

#13 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

YW, haba .
you might find a few things here interesting to read
http://www.pcmus.com/optimise98.htm#osf

you may want to weight the risk on some of it. :thumbsup:

Edited by no one, 23 June 2006 - 03:37 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#14 Trev Lantin

Trev Lantin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:50 PM

hi there again haba!

Did you try my suggestion with the double quotation marks on "c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5" ?

#15 haba

haba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:26 AM

hi there again haba!

Did you try my suggestion with the double quotation marks on "c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5" ?

Hi Trev. Please see my post #12. Perhaps you have a solution to the "mystery" I mention at the end of it. ? Cheers, Haba. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users