Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD space suddenly low

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tentazione

tentazione

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

Hello!

Today suddenly about 15GB of space went missing from my C drive.

My C drive properties say there's 72GB of used space. http://i.imgur.com/m4zMQrV.jpg

But after selecting all files on C (including hidden and system files) it's about 57GB. http://i.imgur.com/RlmCT5O.jpg

Where could have the missing 15GB gone and how to recover them?

Additional info:

- Windows Vista 32-bit, fully updated.

- Antivirus: Avast.

- I didn't do anything strange before the space had gone missing. Just the usual like browsing the Internet (only safe sites that I've been visiting for years). Actually, I think it's happened right after I used the Window's search engine to find a document on drive D.

- This curious occurence only applies to my C drive. The other two are unaffected. And the three particions are parts of the same hard drive.

- I tried googling the problem, but nothing came up. That may be because of my poor wording though.

Oh, and I tried using CCleaner, but that only helped to reclaim about 1GB.

Edited by tentazione, 29 November 2014 - 09:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:02 AM

Hi & welcome to the forum.

First, you can try an app such as TreeSize to see where the space is being used (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/)

Second, you can use Disc Cleanup (More Options Button) to delete all but the most recent restore point. Alternatively, you can disable system restore and use disc imaging on a regular basis - it's a much better and more reliable option than System Restore.

Three, empty your Temporary Internet Files Folder

Let's see where we are after doing all of the above.

#3 tentazione

tentazione
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 06:47 PM

You've nailed it in the first try. TreeSize showed me that System Volume Information has almost 20GB worth of files. Explorer gave me the "Access denied" error and in properties the folder had 0 bytes. After changing privileges I was able to get into it. There are some files that are even over 3GB large with names like "{0a15b415-72ec-11e4-b7ba-001fc6337a4e}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}". I'm pretty sure I've done this before, but just to be on the safe side: can I safely delete those files?

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

I believe you can change the amount of space allocated for System Restore points to some smaller amount and then reboot and it will clear out a bunch of old restores. You could probably also delete all of the previous restores. That's probably better than manually deleting the files.

#5 tentazione

tentazione
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:46 AM

Oh, I didn't know those files in System Volume Information were restore points. Thanks for the tip, I ended up using Disc Cleanup like Allan had suggested.

And that's it. I recovered my missing ~20GB of space.

You were a great help, Allan and bludshot, thank you for your time! I'll make sure to remember what I've learned here (and to take a look at TreeSize from time to time).

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:26 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users