Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email ?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 La Princess

La Princess

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 04:05 AM

Just now have read some terrible things about Incredimail :thumbsup: I have been using the free version for quite a while now with no problems no adware/spyware showing up with scans...I don't care for OE or IE mail I like Incredimail but now I am having doubts..is it safe? I am on a limited income so I am not able to purchase the paid version but, like I said I have not seen/noticed any problems with the free version... Advice?? Help??? Opinions??? Please??? Any help will be appreciated.

TYIA,

La Princess

Oh, since I have updated my AVG I now also have AVG Email Scanner??? Not sure what it is for or how it works?

Also heard Incredimail uses a lot of space and thus causes a computer slow-down? I have dial-up so any slow down would be hard to detect hehe

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:06 AM

La Princess,

We all have our favorites, Incredimail may be one of the poorest choices on the
market. You will get spamed from them and worse. Better that you use your
home ISP for close hold family & friends; then use M$n hot-mail (free acount) for others
outside, and obtain several other "disposable accounts" at my-way or g-mail, etc.

If you use an account for internet banking - that shoud be the only thing that you use
that account for - so you're able to track/control all access and use.

If you have more questions on this subject, please feel free to address them here.

regards,
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:13 AM

~Koan

Thank you so very very much...I have made the changes that you suggested...Thank you so much.....I can't "Thank you" enough for helping me with this....much appreciated.

La Princess

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 08:29 AM

M'Lady,

Just my simple opinion...
Some others are satisfied with their Incredimail accounts. I left mine after two months.

I've two hot-mail accounts at M$N under two separate logins. One, I get a lot of spam on, the other is relatively clean.

I've more than six other E-mail accounts spread out and about.

I suggest you do a similar kind of thing..... One can always dump them/change them.

BTW - I know you've been on BC awhile now - but Wecome!

Regards,
~Koan

Edited by KoanYorel, 27 November 2004 - 08:30 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:22 AM

IF you do not like OExpress, and have some second thoughts about Incredimail, you might consider trying Mozilla's Thunderbird (it's free and very slim). The main thing is to excercise great care with Email addresses, keeping one (best bet is the one your ISP gives you) for trusted friends and family, and using other accounts for transacting business or providing Email addresses to internet firms, etc. Secondly, make sure your security settings for any Email POP client are correct, and only read Emails in plain text.

While AVG will scan your Emails, you may need to configure it to work with whatever Email client (s) you end up using, so you can SEND Emails. There is an user Forum at Grisoft for Free AVG7 users, and also a PDF file with instructions to set it up.

Best regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 La Princess

La Princess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:33 AM

Thank you for the "Welcome" ~Koan.

Thank you John for the Thunderbird and AVG Email Scanner info....going to get right on them both now.

Thank you both so very much,

La Princess

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:35 AM

I use Incredimail. I am very satisfied with it. I use the paid version. It is a hog tho. I was thinking of trying out Thunderbird myself. But probably won't .. I am very attached to my Incredimail. I love my spiffy e-mails LOL.. :thumbsup: :trumpet: And I think that the people I mail look forward to what they will see the next time they get mail from me. I do wish there was a way to find out how much space my Incredimail is taking up. I have been looking but I can't find a way. :flowers:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:42 AM

Well I use Mozilla for both my browser and my Email client (so it will be similar but probabably somewhat larger in size than Thunderbird) but it has a few smileys you can insert and I suspect there are ways to add others. Quite frankly, since I only read (for security purposes) Emails in plain text, I never see these, in spiite of the fact that each of those little faces uses a significant amout of Email bandwidth, taking up extra space in my inbox, and slowing the download process.
Even with some add-ons, I bet Thunderbird would take less HD space and processing resources than would incredimail.
Cheers,
John

#9 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:48 AM

Even with some add-ons, I bet Thunderbird would take less HD space and processing resources than would incredimail.
Cheers,
John

:trumpet: Oh, no doubt John. :flowers: I am thinking maybe I don't want to know how much HD space my Incredimail takes up. I'll tell you a little secret tho. My aČ trojan hunter doesn't like my Incredimail, says it's maleware and wants to take out the importer. Go figure! LOL :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#10 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:55 AM

Sorry to tell you this Pandy,

But many of us no longer want to receive the stationary or little similes in our e-mail
now that we know it can hold more nefarious items.

I for one have turned off receiving those kinds of items.

All my address book members now know better than to send those
kind of items to me. They all get dumped off - too dangerous to receive now.

Like SPAM - Stationary & smilies are a no no to most of us now via e-mail.

Incredimail is one of the worst purveyors of spam next to "Billy Goats" himself!!!
And if you are paying to spam the rest of your contacts - I'm sure they're not very
happy about that... I know that I wouldn't be - and I'd sure tell you about it -
if I hadn't alleady blocked your incomiong e-mail....

Sorry, but I always call 'em as I see 'em.....
~KOAN

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:57 AM

You could always search your program files for the incredimail folder and right click on it and go down to properties to get an indication about its size. As I understand it, incredimail, AS SUCH, does not contain spyware, but some of the "extras" do; again, this depends on the individual company's definiton of what consitutues spyware and their reading of the EULA.
Cheers,
John

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:00 AM

And I have to agree with KoanYorel. I try to discourage my correspondents from using Smilies and backgrounds for the same reasons. Most companies do not allow the use of either for inter-office mail, and with very good reason.
John

Edited by jgweed, 27 November 2004 - 10:05 AM.

#13 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:02 AM

LOL Koan.. those who know me trust me. And I do use plain text at times for certain people. When I get new animations I scan them with AVG. I probably could let the Incredimail go. I have actually been thinking about it. But I have so much money soaked into it. :thumbsup: :flowers: Go ahead and laugh.. LOL I laugh at myself for ever getting sucked in. I would just like to say the I do not spam people with my e-mails. I do take exception to that Koan. There is no link in e-mails I send for Incredimail or anything else unless I put a link in there myself.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:04 AM

Ok I use and have used incredimail on both of my pcs for about 2 years now. The only reason that I have incredimail now is that I hate m$ outlook. I also just like the beackgrounds when sending to friends. I mostly use my yahoo mail but can my yahoo mail be bad too? I have a google mail but its still beta should I trust both or one?

"Also heard Incredimail uses a lot of space and thus causes a computer slow-down?"

Wrong not if your pc is bigger than a 486 lol! I run a incredimail free on a pc that has 350mhz and 96mb ram and only 2% free!! It only takes about 7-8mb of ram on my Xp laptop. So it doesnt take much to run it. I have programs that take over 40mb!

Ok I have a question what can I use other than incredimail? If its bad(so far I have not seen anything)??

Thanks

#15 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:05 AM

Thanks John.. my Incredimail takes up 34.8 MB on the HD. Not as bad as I thought lol. Thanks. :thumbsup:

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users